Should Prisoners be able to do WHAT?

September 25th, 2016

So we are all adults, right? So it’s okay  for us to talk about “Tripping the switch,” “Abusing the wicked stick,” “Beating around the bush,” or “Adjusting the antenna.” Yes, you’re not seeing things…I’m referring to masturbation. Historically the old adage was that 98% of all people over 14 masturbate and the remaining 2% were lying. However, recent studies suggest that masturbation may not occur as often as previously thought. Check out this ARTICLE on “How Common is Masturbation, really?” One of the more interesting findings for our discussion is that

“…sex involves both physical and emotional closeness…any disconnect between these two elements, i.e., physical contact but no emotional closeness or visa versa, was associated with increased masturbation. In fact, for women, one of the best predictors of masturbation was a relationship that lacked emotional intimacy.”

So how does the above relate to prisoners?

Should prisoners be allowed to masturbate while incarcerated? More to the point, should they be punished for being caught engaging in this behavior? Read this ARTICLE from Slate Magazine that addresses the issue. A good number of state prisons and local jails not only forbid inmate masturbation, but issue formal violations for such behavior. Some of you might think  the subject weird, but let’s take it seriously for a moment, Thoughts?


Carrots & Sticks

September 18th, 2016


There is no denying it: murder and rape are heinous offenses and must be dealt with carefully. Individuals who commit such offenses pose unique safety concerns to the greater community. The ways in which we deal with individuals convicted of homicide and sexual assault are vital to the system as a whole.

That said, how long should these individuals be locked up? Should they be allowed to spend a part of their sentence in the community? Should all persons convicted of homicide or sexual assault serve prison time? Moreover, with an awareness that variances exist regarding homicide and sexual assault  types (see article), should we treat all offenders alike? Click and read the ARTICLE and let me know how you feel about the author’s opinion and why.

Prison Study

September 11th, 2016

This is my first post for the semester. I hope we can cultivate at least a bit of positive social chatter about the topics that emerge. But first, a couple of logistics:

Please know that I will delete any posts that disparage another individual’s comments.  It’s okay to disagree with another’s post, but we must all respect one another in our disagreements. Thanks.

Check out this ARTICLE published back in 2014, which basically summarizes a lot of the material we’ll be covering this semester. There’s a great deal in the small piece to consider. What stands out most to you and why?

Long pants…sigh…summer where have you gone?

September 4th, 2016



Summer is the time for wearing shorts. I never wear long pants in the summer. Never. Period. But summer has gone and it’s time to find them and dust them off. Oh summer, where have you gone

Actually I’ve had the best summer ever. Alex and I spent June and July in Colorado. We stayed at the Sunset Motel in Grand Lake, but visited Frisco, RedcliffSteamboat Springs, Twin LakesGeorgetown, Idaho Springs, Winter Park and Leadville. Frisco is still one of our favorite day trips and you must eat at Prost if you visit. We were disappointed with Steamboat Springs (sort of reminded me of Aspen or Vail). Basically it’s a tourist trap. The views are spectacular, however. Of course we spent a night in Leadville, CO. Over the past 20+ years, we’ve spent alot of time in Leadville and have fond memories of the place (especially the clothes at Melanzana,  and food at Quincy’s and Mountain High Pies). This year we took a day trip back to Georgetown and Idaho Springs. In the past, Idaho Springs was a small and fairly quiet town just into the mountains. It has become a town that is “busting at the seams.” Now maybe our choice of days to visit was the problem (Sunday afternoon when everyone was driving back to Denver), but the town is crazy busy. To our surprise, Georgetown, CO has changed little, if any. Spectacular views here. The Winter Park/Fraser area has become a favorite of ours. Nice restaurants (especially Sharky’s Eatery) and shops, including a great laundry facility.

It’s nice to revisit these places in my mind (O how I wish I was still there) while sitting in my basement with a cup of java. These memories remind me of summer and hopefully will keep me till next May. Meanwhile, fall, which is my favorite season, is quickly approaching here in WI. Bring it on!

And now, I must go and locate my long pants:)