On the Verge

Posted in Scenic Design on May 6th, 2016 by Eric Appleton

As I commence drafting the detail plates for “On the Verge,” I wasn’t sure if I had posted the rough experimental model I’d worked up a few weeks ago. So here it is:

This is the first show of our Fall season, but we try to get as much settled and done before we end the Spring semester. That way, we can walk into the shops in the Fall and get right to work on the first shows.

The Tangled Skirt and Yankee Tavern

Posted in Scenic Design on May 3rd, 2016 by Eric Appleton

In between interviewing Technical Director candidates, I’m still working on final versions of “The Tangled Skirt” and “Yankee Tavern” for our Summeround productions.

The “The Tangled Skirt” image now reflects the use of some furniture pieces that we will scavenge from around the building:

“Yankee Tavern” has reached a state of completion. There will be much more clutter and distressing, and I have to finish drafting the bar back, but here it is:

As soon as that’s done, I need to go back to “On the Verge” drawings. . .


Posted in Student Work on April 28th, 2016 by Eric Appleton

During the last couple weeks, Mason has been working on a set design for “Fool for Love” in the intermediate design seminar. We’re now moving into lighting, so I built a small version of his set for the light lab:

Which we then used to construct a preset for the play:

A Midsummer’s Night Dream and Yankee Tavern

Posted in General Production, Production Photo, Scenic Design on April 26th, 2016 by Eric Appleton

“A Midsummer Night’s Dream” opened last night. Our director was guest Lenny Banovez (of Titan Theatre out of NY), the set was by Eric Appleton, lighting by student Joe Berman, costumes by Marshall Anderson, sound engineer student Mason Ronan, stage manager student Emily Ottinger, and props student Allison Lozar.

Eight actors were cast and they switched off on almost all the roles regardless of gender, so there were a lot of runs to allow them a chance to do all the roles that fell in their allotment. Here are some photos from the first run on the last day of dress rehearsals (Sunday):

The choosing of roles:

A trio of lovers:

Pyramus and Thisbe:

Titania asleep:

Titania and Oberon and Puck:

And meanwhile, it’s back to work on “Yankee Tavern:”

A Midsummer Night’s Dream and The Tangled Skirt

Posted in General Production, Scenic Design on April 21st, 2016 by Eric Appleton

Last night was first tech of “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” and it went very smoothly, thanks to the efforts of stage manager Emily, lighting designer Joe, light board operator Alex, sound designer, Mason, sound operator Dan, and guest director Lenny Banovez. Tonight we do it again.

During the afternoon, work on the carpeting continued, and we hope to get this finished for tonight:

I also finished up the Sketchup rendering of “The Tangled Skirt:”

and started on the model of “Yankee Tavern:”

A Midsummer Night’s Dream and The Tangled Skirt

Posted in General Production on April 18th, 2016 by Eric Appleton

Tomorrow is dry tech for “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” and here is student lighting designer Joe working with other students to finish up focus:

When the worklights got turned back on, carpeting the hills began with gusto:

And down in the design room, a production meeting for the summer production of “The Tangled Skirt” took place. Around the table from the left we have TD Steve Chene, director Skip Grover, Kiley, costume designer Tracey Lyons, and SM Emily.

The Tangled Skirt

Posted in Drawings, Scenic Design on April 15th, 2016 by Eric Appleton

It’s getting close to the end of the day, and I’ve got the white virtual model of “The Tangled Skirt” done.

The furniture and human figure are from the SketchUp 3D warehouse, and so not my work.

The Tangled Skirt

Posted in Drawings, Scenic Design on April 15th, 2016 by Eric Appleton

Partway done with the monochrome 3D model of ‘The Tangled Skirt.”

A Midsummer Night’s Dream, On the Verge, and The Tangled Skirt

Posted in Drawings, General Production, Scenic Design on April 14th, 2016 by Eric Appleton

Focus starts today, with student Joe Berman as the lighting designer. Here’s a shot from earlier in the week, with Intro to Tech students in the Hicklin working the hang:

Here, facing is being applied to the platforming. I painted on linoleum strips so we could easily wrap around curves.

I also spent time in my office working on “On the Verge” drawings. Here’s the elevation:

And this morning started working on detail plates for “The Tangled Skirt:”

A Midsummer Night’s Dream and On the Verge

Posted in General Production, Scenic Design, Scenic Painting on April 12th, 2016 by Eric Appleton

“A Midsummer Night’s Dream” goes into tech next week, so here are some pictures of where we are at the moment. First, here’s student stage manager Emily posting new things on the callboard:

We were trying out a new method of building the slopes with celotex, but it was taking too long and was too fiddly, so we’ve reverted to styrofoam. Here we have Alex, Javona, and Christina cutting out shapes:

Props manager Allison works on the wooden sword:

The grid is half hung at this point, so this afternoon the light hang will continue:

My project is to finish painting the stone facing — we’re doing it on strips of linoleum to better accommodate the curved platform edges:

Also did some more work on “On the Verge.” Here’s the model with a new header and added clocks:

Finally, this slice of tree is from one of the sugar maples that used to stand across the street from the Center for the Arts. It and it’s twin were cut down this Fall so a developer could build some truly nondescript student apartments. One of the art profs claimed this chunk and plans to sand it down and make a timeline of it. They guess the trees were at least two hundred years old.