The PERKS of Coffee
Are you one of those people that can’t go a day without their morning “cup of Joe?” Well I sure am! Coffee keeps me normal and allows me to function. Am I addicted? Possibly. There are the myths out there that “coffee will stunt your growth” or “it causes heart disease and cancer.” With these risks at hand, I thought maybe I should quit drinking it and find a new morning pick-me-up. Then I researched the health benefits of coffee and thought again. Here is what I found:
- Coffee helps protect your brain. Coffee drinkers have a lower risk of developing dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. Studies show that even just the smell of coffee can stimulate the brain and reduce stress caused from lack of sleep.
- Coffee helps your skin glow. It also helps your skin from developing skin cancer. Coffee gives you energy, which makes your body more rejuvenated causing you to look more fresh and ready for your day.
- Coffee helps clean out your body. Those that drink coffee have a lower risk of prostate cancer because the caffeine in coffee is a stimulant that forces the toxins and stool out of your system. The antioxidants in coffee also help prevent liver disease.
- Coffee helps keeps you slim. The caffeine in coffee is known to speed up your metabolism and allow the process of fat burning to quicken. This allows a person to lower their risk of type 2 diabetes and also obesity. If you stay away from all the creamer, sugar, sweeteners, and flavorings, then coffee is one of the lowest-calorie drinks around.
Now that you read all of the positive facts when it comes to consuming coffee, here are some not so pleasant things to remember.
- Those people that drink four or more cups of coffee per day could start to become restless, irritable, and can cause great anxiety when it comes to daily life tasks. High consumption of unfiltered coffee is associated with elevations in individuals’ cholesterol levels.
- Keep your coffee drinking to 1-4 cups per day and you may experience some positive benefits. Anything beyond that can cause you to become addicted and dependent, making those days without caffeine absolutely miserable! Remember, “1” cup of coffee means 8 oz. So filling up your thermos four times is definitely more than you should be consuming, so be mindful!
Keep in mind the motto “everything is good for you in moderation” and you will have no problems. So whether you drink coffee now, or you have thought about giving it a try, do it! The benefits are great and the TASTE is even better.
“Always remember that it doesn’t matter how slow you go, as long as you keep on going”