For a lot of people working out and going to the gym can be very intimidating. What makes it a lot easier to be confident in the gym is knowing where to start. Whether you are looking for a great lifting plan or a simple …
Tag: uww rec sports
Now that the year is coming to a close, we finally get to say “I took that class,” “I did a semester of_____” (fill in blank). But I couldn’t help but notice that this time of year also brings out “I wish I would have” conversation points. It got me thinking about what we could do that would make us feel good about our accomplishments. We tend to think inside the box when it comes to our workout routines, which is a fault in our fitness productivity. Therefore, as the year comes to a close, I thought a bit about things that we can accomplish before the year ends. Whether you are graduating or going home for the summer, it’s never too late to accomplish something big. Here’s how you can do just that.
- Group Fitness Class Double Whammy: This does not apply to attending Core Complete class beforehand, but rather a full class followed by another. This can be back to back or it could be spread out throughout the day. I would recommend that you choose wisely as to how you pair the two, preferably stay away from two cardio classes in a row.
- Morning Group Fitness Class: Hopefully you’ve already gotten the chance to try out one of the morning classes here. If you have, you most likely know firsthand that they set you up for a great day. Not only does it wake you up and make you feel great the whole day, but you also exceed your expectations as to what you can accomplish before 8am. The thought of this might terrify you, but the key to getting yourself there is to let your groggy brain not think about what you are doing or where you are going. Just do it!
- Take an Aimless Walk: A lot of students tend to stick to only the building that they need to be in for class, and don’t take the initiative to venture off and explore the entire campus. If you have some spare time during the day, just go for a walk. You may be surprised at what a great stress reliever it is to just walk around with no destination. You can also explore and become more familiar with campus.
- Get a Massage: I don’t know about many of you but I was surprised to hear that you can get a massage here on campus. Getting a therapeutic massage is a great way to promote healthy body functioning and relive stress and provide general relaxation. With finals around the corner, I think it’s safe to say that you’re going to need one, so give it a try.
- Go Ask Alice: While looking through the UHCS website, I stumbled upon an interesting and convenient resource called Go Ask Alice. Through this website you can ask any of your health related questions, from advice on nutrition to emotional health, you can have the answer a click away! Of course this is something you do online therefore you don’t need to complete it before the year ends, however it is a useful tool to have on hand especially when you are too busy to see a doctor for a simple question.
- Swim: Maybe I’m a little biased because I already love to swim, however some people have yet to take advantage of their access to the pool that comes with their gym membership. Even if you don’t know how to swim properly, take a step out of your comfort zone and give it a try. It is a great workout and a fun one at that. Write up a work out on a sheet of paper and stick it on a wet kick board to keep on the end of your lane so you can follow a solid workout.
We are given so many helpful resources to maintain and enhance our health in many aspects. There is so much more we can do with our days here on campus, and doing what hasn’t been done, exceeding expectations, and overachieving, start with creativity. So think outside of the box and change up your routine in ways that will allow you to experience a healthy life on campus in a new way.
“It’s a good day to have a good one.”