Before working out, it is essential that you fuel your body correctly in order to build up muscle and perform to your best ability. Luckily, there are foods that will help you do this while also making you feel great! Not only that, but your …
As we are experiencing fall here in Wisconsin, it’s starting to get colder, the days are shorter, and our moods and bodies are affected. Sometimes the last thing we want to do, especially in winter, is workout. We feel saddened and working out seems harder than spending the day in bed. Just getting up when you’re feeling sad and taking a walk, even if you must layer up, can change your mood. Here are some workouts to help you get out of your seasonal depression:
- Going for a run and getting that amazing runners high to help fight your depression and anxiety can really help you to change up your mood. Even getting up and getting your heart pumping with aerobic exercise 30-60min a day will begin to release endorphins to make you feel happier!
- Doing a yoga workout once or twice a week is proven to reduce depression and anxiety while improving your mindfulness. Yoga can help your mental and physical strength while also becoming more flexible and improving your balance. You can take yoga classes in the evening at group fitness in the Williams Center or find a yoga routine that fits you on YouTube or your TV subscriptions.
- Tai chi
- The slow calming movements while focusing on your breathing can calm you enough to reduce your symptoms of seasonal depression.
- Walking or hiking outside
- Even though it is getting chilly outside, walking outside with lots of layers or walking on a treadmill can still help you get moving and your heart rate up! Walking outdoors gives you a sense of fresh air and fresh breathing that will calm your anxieties.
- Weight lift
- Starting your strength training journey can help reduce symptoms of seasonal depression. Start slow and find a program that works for you, maybe even schedule and appointment with a personal trainer at the UWW- Williams Center to help you out. Click here to learn more how to register.
- Full body HITT workout
- Trying a full body HITT workout can get your blood moving just like aerobic running while burning calories and fat. Intensely working out for 15-minutes straight for your cardio of the day will really help your depression symptoms.
- Group Fitness Classes
- Having classes with social support can help to motivate you and feel supported in your workout journey. Trying out a group fitness class out here in the Williams Center is a great way to start your fitness goals to fighting your seasonal depression!
Having depression symptoms or especially seasonal depression as the weather begins to cool is very common and learning how to navigate depression can start with getting yourself motivated to get moving and working out! Hopefully this can help you to start your workout journey to fighting your seasonal depression!
Strive for progress not perfection!
A few weeks ago we talked about healthy eating in the season of autumn in a blog titled, “Hello,Autumn and Healthy Eating”. Well, in today’s blog we are going to continue with this theme ofhealthy eating by sharing some of our favorite and simple recipes …