The Benefits of Weight Lifting that No One Talks About

As most of you probably know, weight lifting is a popular activity many people participate in when exercising at the gym. I myself try to weight lift at least three times a week to stay toned and continue to build muscle. However, I was totally unaware of the abundance of benefits weight lifting really has on your health. Personally, I like weight lifting because it is a great distraction to get my mind off of school and my busy schedule. Not only that, but it is a great way to stay in shape. In today’s blog we are going to discuss the benefits of weight lifting that no one talks about! Below you will find a list of just that. 

Benefits of Weight Lifting that No One Talks About:

1. Helps to Ease the Mind and Reduce Depressive Symptoms 

• In various studies, it has been found that physical exercise helps to reduce depressive symptoms. Weight lifting falls right into this category! Overall, taking up exercise has been proven to reduce the risk of developing a mental illness and having feelings of anxiety in everyday life. 

2. Improves Metabolism

• It has been proven that muscle fights fat. By weight lifting you are building an abundance of muscle that your body did not previously have before. By doing so, you are fighting off fat as well as building up your metabolism.

3. Lowers Your Risk of Diabetes 

• According to the World Health Organization, “Nearly 350 million people have diabetes worldwide. It is predicted that by 2030, the disease will be the seventh leading cause of death.” Eating a healthy diet and exercising regularly will help you not become a part of these statistics. However, weight lifting in particular plays a significant role in reducing your risk of developing diabetes. 

4. Improves Balance 

• Muscles are key components of your body to help keep you stabilized. Weight lifting not only builds muscle, but it helps those muscles keep you standing upright and balanced properly. As you age, weight lifting becomes especially important as it aids in the balance of the body overall.

5. Prevents Back Pain 

• A common problem many people struggle with is back pain. Surprisingly, weight lifting can help to be the problem solver of this pain. Weight lifting helps you strengthen your core muscles. The core muscles support your spine and therefore lessens the discomfort of your constant back pain. How cool is that?! 

Now, these are just a few of the benefits weight lifting contributes to that I found during my research. For more information click here! Lastly, remember that weight lifting is not for everyone. I encourage you to test out what works best for your physical and mental health. What works for one person may not work for you. 

Do not get discouraged, 

Cora Shircel