Protein is important for everyone’s diet regardless of whether an individual exercises on a daily basis or not. Every single cell in the human body needs protein. Protein helps your body not only repair cells, but make new ones as well. Additionally, protein aids in growth and development. Other benefits include reducing muscle loss, building muscle, and helping to maintain healthy weight. Many of these topics are discussed in our other blogs. Click here to read! With all of this being said, today’s blog will be discussing five surprising sources of protein. As usual, if you read this blog, implement these practices into your own life, or want to share your health and fitness journey with us please follow and tag us on our social media platforms. You can find us on Facebook by searching UW-Whitewater Rec Sports or follow us on Twitter and Instagram @RecSports_UWW.
Five Surprising Sources of Protein:
- Chia Seeds
- An uncommon, yet great source of protein is found in the edible flowering plant known as chia seeds. One ounce of chia seeds contains approximately 4.7 grams of protein. This source of plant protein can easily be added to smoothies, juices, an acai bowl, and more!
- Green peas are classified as a starchy vegetable. One whole cup of green peas contains 8 grams of protein. Being one of the best sources of plant protein they are filling and also have a high amount of fiber.
- Being a member of the cashew family, pistachios come from a tree that produces a large number of their seeds. Containing about 25 grams of protein per one cup, this nut is a great option for consuming your proper daily protein intake.
- Edible seaweed is oftentimes eaten and used for culinary purposes. Not only does seaweed contain a high amount of fiber, but it also contains about 6 grams of protein per 100 grams of seaweed. Additionally, seaweed has very few calories and adds many vitamins and minerals to one’s diet.
- Parmesan Cheese
- Produced from cow’s milk, parmesan cheese contains vitamins, minerals, and about 1.9 grams of protein for every one tablespoon of parmesan cheese. Out of all of the cheeses, parmesan cheese happens to be one of the best options for one’s diet.
With all of the information provided above, there are clearly a variety of foods that can be not only tasty, but also good additions to one’s diet as high sources of protein. If you try out any of these options please let us know on our socials. As always…
Do not get discouraged,