Hey all, welcome back to another week and another post about thrifting… well sort of.  As I teased at the end of last week’s post, I will be starting a series where I talk about reselling. There is a strong connection to thrifting and reselling as many people have been able to make a living doing such. The people that do it as a full-time job can make a decent amount of money if they know what to look for. There are some items that have so much value online, but it doesn’t really make sense why. It just proves that there are always people looking for the most random items and are willing to pay any amount. Of course, there is the question of ethics with this process. Some don’t see it as the right to sell items that are discounted for cheap or higher online. Thrift stores were created to sell items for cheap to people that can’t exactly afford to buy the top dollar. Yet, thrift stores also have a large environmental impact as the items are given a second life and reduce waste. There are strong points for both sides. The phenomenon of reselling has really exploded in recent years as better applications have risen which makes it easier to sell items. One of these applications is Depop.
Depop is an online marketplace that primarily focuses on clothing. There are around 15 million users on the application who buy and sell items that are all across the board in terms of items. It is essentially like an online thrift store except the prices are much higher and there is a communication aspect with the sellers. The application is set up like Instagram, where pictures dominate the content. Sellers are able to showcase their inventory in a way that is unique. 

I thought I would make it simple and run through how to make a listing. I will be listing a shirt that I got at a thrift store a while back that I don’t really want anymore. Now, it has been proven that items that are modeled sell better and faster, yet most of the time I will just take a picture of the clothing on the ground. I have found that the clothes sell depending on how demanding they are and/or the description that is written for them. It is important it is unique with your description. You also want to include colors, style, era, etc. Hashtags are important as well. The best tip I can give is to make your item as specific as possible. There are so many items that if you make the description or hashtags generic, it could get lost. I have included screengrabs of my process below:

Just a few quick tips:

• Make your description super descriptive
  • Include dimensions of item: people can’t tell sizing just by a picture.
  • Include category, style, and era tags
  • Include hashtags: this gives them a better chance to pop up in feeds.

I encourage all of you to check out Depop and do some exploring on your own. There are some aspects that I didn’t cover here. The buyer side of Depop is interesting because there are so many items,  but sometimes it can be difficult to find exactly what you are looking for. There are also some issues with user relations and pricing. Yet, Depop is a great application for sellers and buyers.