Tell us a little bit about yourself?

My name is Angie Carchesi, I use she/her pronouns and have been a UC employee for 2 years now. I work for the UC Graphics and Marketing office as the Video Production Assistant!

Tell us a little bit about your unit

The UC Graphics & Marketing office consists of several creatives who work to promote the University Center and all of the services it provides to students. We work with other UC departments to create engaging videos, social media posts, and posters to promote UC events and services.

What does an average day look like working for the UC? What does your position entail?

I am responsible for creating all of the videos for the University Center, whether that be promotional videos, training videos, Instagram Reels, or recap videos. Depending on the day, I work on coming up with ideas for videos, scriptwriting, shooting, or editing. I also collaborate with other departments to discuss what kind of videos they are looking for or to get feedback on a video that I have already produced.

What does being a UC employee mean to you?

To me, being a UC employee means promoting a space that is welcoming to all students and providing an environment for students to gather. I want all students to feel like they belong and to know that there is something here in the UC for everyone.

What are some of the most memorable days/moments working for the UC?

One of the most memorable moments working for the UC was filming a spin-off of The Office for a hiring promotional video last year. I had so much fun writing the script and collaborating with all of my coworkers who were in the video. I also really enjoyed filming the promotional video for the Ant-Man movie, I got to try some new ideas and techniques I had never tried before. I even got my boss Jenny to be in the video.

Why should students visit the UC?

Students should visit the UC because there is so much to do here. You can bowl in Warhawk Alley, eat at one of the various dining options, meet with a study group in the concourse, check out the exhibit in Roberta’s Art Gallery, attend a UC Live karaoke or trivia night, and so much more.

How will your position at the UC help you in your future career?

My position at the UC is directly related to my future field of work, so I can get hands-on experience with scriptwriting, shooting, and editing before graduating college. Additionally, I am able to get experience receiving feedback from other departments and collaborating with others on projects.

How do you balance school, work, extracurricular activities, and a social life?

Being a full-time student and Communication Department Ambassador in addition to maintaining three jobs at the UC, UWW-TV, and our campus radio station 91.7 The Edge while still trying to maintain a social life can be challenging. One thing that has been extremely helpful is the flexibility that campus jobs provide. Having supervisors who understand that we are students first has been instrumental to my success here at UW-Whitewater. Another thing that has helped me balance all of my responsibilities is staying organized. I put everything into my Google Calendar so I don’t forget anything, whether that be a due date for an assignment or an event I have to work.