Tell us a little bit about yourself

My name is Elizabeth Garthwaite (She/Her/Hers) and I am the Program Specialist of Events, Student Activities and Involvement. I have been working at the University Center for about 5 months now.

What does an average day look like working for the UC? What does your position entail?

Every day looks different in the UC. There are always things happening and hardly a dull moment. Typically, my days are spent planning and trouble shooting events and supporting student employees as they navigate their roles in our department. In my position I supervise UC Live, the programming team in the UC, and co-advise Homecoming. I also support student organizations by meeting with them to advise for their upcoming events.

What does being a UC employee mean to you?
Being a part of the UC feels a lot like family. Everyone is so supportive and helpful that being an employee here means a lot more than work. It means showing up everyday ready to help others, being kind and compassionate, and willing to listen. The UC is a safe place for many students, and having the opportunity to contribute and help make that space safe for them is a responsibility I do not take lightly.

What are some of the most memorable days/moments working for the UC?

As a more recent hire I still have a lot of memories to make. Some of the most memorable days are our first events of the school year, and when the students came back to campus. It certainly brightens the mood of the entire building once students have returned and there is constant activity happening.

Why should students visit the UC?

Students should visit the UC because of the wide variety of things to do, and the connections that can be made. The UC is a great place to have fun, relax, or take a break from the craziness of life. Come to the UC and enjoy your time here and make friends while doing so.

What is one piece of advice you can give to current UW-W students?
Take advantage of the campus resources. There are so many events that happen or things that are included in student fees that are not realized. Utilize your time as a student to enjoy the small things and use the opportunities that are presented to you to the fullest extent.

What is an accomplishment you are most proud of?
Showing up ready to learn and adapt in this new role for myself.