Tell us a little bit about yourself.

My name is Gabe Koenig and my pronouns are he/him. I’ve been working for the UC Tech Crew for 2 years now.

Tell us a little bit about your department.

The Tech Crew is responsible for the implementation, maintenance, and use of various equipment around the university center. Members in Tech Crew often control and manage equipment for a wide variety of events. 

What does an average day look like working for the UC? What does your position entail?

Putting out fires. No, not literally, that’s my other job. These figurative fires are often incipient in nature and can be handled with ease if properly attended. Other job duties include, but are by no means limited to setting up lighting, running audio, establishing good relationships with our customers, and setting up other events. 

What does being a UC employee mean to you? 

It means flexibility and problem-solving. In the ever-dynamic environment that is the Tech Crew and the University Center, employees are often challenged to find creative solutions to uncommon problems – this is the part I truly enjoy. Working at the UC also means being part of a team. I have relied on my fellow members an uncountable number of times. 

What are some of the most memorable days/moments working for the UC? 

The most memorable moments for me are the big events. Spending all day building friendships in the Hamilton Room booth will always be one of my favorite college experiences. 

Why should students visit the UC? 

Students should visit the UC because it is a great way to involve themselves in campus culture. It is also a convenient place to stop for a bite to eat, or even just a pass-through from Hyland to the library – a building we all definitely use.

How will your position at the UC help you in your future career? 

I am eternally grateful for the problem-solving and time management skills the Tech Crew has taught me. In previous internships as a Budding Safety and Health Practitioner, I very quickly learned that you never really know what’s going to happen. Will I have another fire today? Is there another medical emergency? Who knows, but I do know I feel much calmer in those situations than I would have. I think my calm approach to incidents is partially because of some of the situations I have encountered at the UC. 

How do you balance school, work, extracurricular activities, and a social life? 

For me, a lot of it comes down to stress mitigation. If I don’t have to do it and I don’t want to do it, I won’t do it. If I don’t like it, there’s a good chance I will reflect that opinion. If I didn’t want to write this blog, I wouldn’t. But, I like my job and I like my job duties more than most on-campus activities. Allow yourself not to care about the things you don’t care about. Maybe I am just getting old, but to me, it seems like everyone feels like they have to care about everything nowadays. The truth is, you don’t and you shouldn’t, know what is important to you and focus on that.