This low added sugar banana blueberry bread made with whole grains and flax seed is ultra moist and fluffy, loaded with antioxidants from blueberries and the sweet taste of bananas.
Serving Size: 1 slice | Yield: 2 loaves or 20 slices | Method: Bake
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp nutmeg, ground
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 cup apple sauce, unsweetened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups banana, overripe, mashed (about 4 large)
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare bread loaf pans with pan spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, ground flaxseed, baking powder and soda, salt and nutmeg. Then, sift to combine all ingredients well. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together oil, apple sauce, vanilla and honey. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended. Add dry mixture to wet mixture in 3 batches, slowly combining each batch until blended and stir just to moisten. Fold in blueberries. Pour batter evenly into prepared loaf pans.
- Cook loaves in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, depending on pan type, until knife is inserted into middle and comes out clean. Remove from oven, set aside and remove from pan when cool.
-Elior North America