When it comes to college, some people just knoooow what they are going to do, and others are trying to find their “thing”. Outside of those who do and do not know, there are those who think that they know what they want to do, and then they actually do not.

I am a prime candidate for those who thought they did but they actually did not. When I started here at UW-Whitewater, I thought I was going to be a graphic designer. It turned out that art school was not quite my cup of tea, I wanted my art to be more of a hobby rather than a career. Although a great realization, that meant I needed to switch my major and it was a mix of numerous emotions. After lots of talking, and some trial and error, I was able to find the right major for me.

If you, a friend, or family member is going through a major change, then you are all in the right place. This is how to stay calm when changing your major – a guide to taking your time in just a few simple steps. 

1. Breathe – It is okay. You are not the first person to change their major and will not be the last. It can be very frustrating and confusing, but it will be okay so please start by taking a deep breath.
  2. Do some research – If you could be anything in the world, what would you be? You should continue to reach for the stars and follow your dreams no matter what they are. If you are interested in the music industry and you’re looking to drop your general business major, check out the music department and tech. There are so many possibilities that can help lead you to the industry you’re most passionate about.
  3. Talk to your friends and family – The people that know you best can help give you suggestions of what they think you may be good at, help you reflect on your strengths, and be there to help you walk through your potential options.
  4. Talk to someone on campus – Career Services, University Health and Counseling Services, and Academic Advising are available to help you best prepare yourself for the future. Career Services and Academic Advising may have opportunities, industries, and other ideas that could help steer you in the right direction. Health Services can help you with your mental health during this time as well because your mental health is extremely important – especially at this time.
  5. Get Involved – Campus involvement can help you to figure out what you are interested in. I joined an organization on campus that helped me to discover what I was passionate about and lead me to my new major. Click HERE to get connected with a student org!

According to a study done by Ohio State University, about one-third of all students will change their major at least once. To put that into perspective, that is over 3,500 students on campus that are currently, have been, or will be in your situation.

The uncertainty of changing your major does not have to be as overwhelming as it seems. Breathe, talk, and do not be afraid to talk to people. From family and friends, to academic advisors and counseling services, you are not alone. Stay calm, walk through these 5 steps, and you will be on your way to rocking your new major and future career!