“The purpose of playing is … to hold, as ’twere, the mirror up to nature”-William Shakespeare
Theta Alpha Phi (also known as “TAP” or “Theta”) is an co-educational honors fraternity that recognizes excellence in the art of theatre at a collegiate level. The first chapter was formed on December 22, 1919 at Oklahoma A&M College in Stillwater, Oklahoma. Since the dissolution of the National Collegiate Players/Pi Epsilon Delta National Theatre Honor Society, Theta Alpha Phi is the oldest honor society for theatre in the United States. Currently, there are around 30 active chapters. The Wisconsin Delta chapter at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is the only active Theta chapter in the state of Wisconsin. It was founded in 1950. The current faculty adviser is Marshall Anderson, the chair of the UW-Whitewater Theatre/Dance Department.
The primary mission of UWW-TAP is to support the UW-Whitewater Theatre/Dance Department and to encourage excellence and achievement in the theatrical arts.
We accomplish this by:
- Bringing in workshops taught by theatre professionals AND running our own workshops
- Awarding at least two scholarships of $200 each annually to students with high levels of achievement and enthusiasm in theatre
- Offering leadership opportunities to members of the organization as the chairs of various committees
- Providing a coat check/concessions stand for all theatre and dance performances
- Acknowledging student achievements with a year-end department banquet
We will be accepting pledges/new members in the fall of 2020! If the list below describes you we hope to meet you soon.
- Currently a student at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
- Sophomore standing or above (30+ credits)
- Pursuing a theatre major or minor of any emphasis
- Good academic standing in your theatre classes, 3.0 GPA and overall 2.5 GPA
- A passion for theatre
- We encourage artistic, professional, and personal development through activities while in the support of the theatre
Learn more by following us on Instagram @uwwthetaalphaphi or on Twitter @UWWThetaAlphaPhi and by liking us on Facebook!
You can also contact our advisor Marshall Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org or go to https://qdigger.wixsite.com/thetaalphaphi