They are moms, dads, uncles, aunts, brothers, sisters, teachers, doctors, farmers.

They sell cars.  They change diapers.  They order coffee. They listen to the radio.  They go to college.

They are Veterans.  You wouldn’t be able to tell just be looking at them, but they have made a sacrifice that is too important not to recognize.  They have had to leave their families, friends, and life as they know it, to serve their country.  They offered their life, so that you and I can live ours freely.

325569_10151246341570192_1249129983_o

Troy Davis, my father, a National Guard Veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom

As a daughter of a veteran, I can say that it’s no walk in the park having someone you love be sent overseas and not knowing whether you would ever see them again or not.  I was in 5th grade when I learned that my father was going to be sent away for two years.

His life, and my family’s lives were put on hold.  Nothing would be the same.  Every day, from the day he left, to the day he returned, was filled with the same questions.  Will I ever see my dad again?  When can I talk to Dad?  Is Dad okay today?

Christmases and birthdays felt empty.  Weekends were lonely.  Life just wasn’t right.

The countdown to the day he returned slowly ticked away.

Finally, the day came that I was able to see my dad again.  My grandparents, my brother, my mother and I went to Fort McCoy to pick up our hero.  We made up just a small part out of crowds of families anxious to see their fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, and children once again.

I remember tears, long hugs, and kisses.  Dad was home, and safe… but life wouldn’t ever be the same.

There will always be two years of my life that were filled with fear, anger, sadness, depression, but now I have respect for what my father has done, pride in him, and a better appreciation for family.  I am so grateful that my dad was one of the lucky ones who made it home safely.

You can’t tell by looking at my dad that he ever served in the military, but that doesn’t mean that his service wasn’t important, or that he doesn’t deserve to be thanked.

Veterans Day is a day where we can stop and recognize those who have served, because they really do deserve a thank you for all they have given. It’s a very important day, for very important people.

Nicole Bengston, a graduate assistant with the Academic Advising and Exploration Center and a member of the Veteran and Military Servicemember Committee on campus, shared this information about events happening on campus this week in honor of Veterans Day!

November 8-14

• Memorial to fallen Veterans from the American Revolution to today.
    • Location: The Drumlin outside the James R. Connor University Center
  •  Free Billiards and Bowling at Warhawk Alley for Veterans and Military Servicemembers

November 8-20

• Working Warriors: Military Life Beyond Combat
    • An exhibit on loan from the Wisconsin Veterans Museum The Wisconsin Humanities Council is honored to include this exhibit as part of its Working Lives Project, visit www.wisconsinhumanities.org for more details.
    • Funded in part by the Wisconsin Humanities Council with funds from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
    • Location: Roberta’s Gallery, James R. Connor University Center
    • Hours: Open M-Th: 10:00am – 6:00pm,  F: 10:00am – 3:00pm
    • http://www.uww.edu/uc/things-to-do/robertas-art-gallery

November 10-16

• Andersen Library will display Veterans from World War I who attended UW-Whitewater
    • Location: 2nd Floor Display Case in the University Center

November 11, 2014 Veterans Day

• 11:00 AM Official University of Wisconsin – Whitewater Veteran Remembrance Ceremony
    • Special performance by Students from the  Music Department
    • Location: Hamilton Room, University Center
  • 12:30 PM   Reception for Working Warriors: Military Life Beyond Combat
    • An exhibit on loan from the WI Veteran Museum
    • The Wisconsin Humanities Council is honored to include this exhibit as part of its Working Lives Project.
    • Go to www.wisconsinhumanities.org for more detail
    • Speaker:  Kristine Zickuhr, Assistant Director WI Veterans Museu
    • Light appetizers and beverage
    • Location: Roberta’s Art Gallery in the University Center
  • 11:00 AM- 3:00 PM   Free Lunch for Veteran and Military Servicemembers at all UW-Whitewater Dining Services

November 12

• 9:00 AM- 1:00 PM   Veterans and Military Servicemembers Resource Fair
    • Location: University Center Concourse
    • Care Packages Drop Off
    • Collections of personal care items and snacks for Active Military Servicemembers.
    • For a full list of items please contact Beth Lueck: lueckb@uww.edu
    • Location: University Center  Concourse

November 13 

• 12:00-1:00 PM  Veterans & Higher Education
    • A LEARN Center Session for Faculty & Staff
    • Location: UC 266
    • Lunch included
    • Registration:  https://my.uww.edu/
  • 4:00 PM   Doomed Youth: Poetry from the Great War
    • Readings by Faculty, Staff, and Students
    • Location: Laurentide 3rd Floor Living Room

I encourage you to check some of these things out, and remember to thank a Veteran this week!

Walking with Dad