What Remains of Edith Finch

What Remains of Edith Finch is a 2017 adventure game developed by Giant Sparrow and published by Annapurna Interactive. The game centers on the character of Edith, a member of the Finch family, afflicted by a perceived curse that causes all but one member of each generation to die in unusual ways.

This game in all honesty was breathtaking. I have never played any adventure story style game that came even close to the detail of this game. This game is obviously is about Edith Finch, and her learning about the pasts of her family. As Edith ventures through the house she discovers the hidden past of her family members, learning about things her mom never told her. She goes through the house room by room and the person playing is being guided by the text that appears on the screen. I had never seen a game that uses this type of mechanic. But that being said I wasn’t disappointed. As you go through the house led by this text you find a series of cool hidden passages through the house that get you past the sealed doors. So you can experience each family members room and the stories that they hold.

The detail of this game is astonishing. While playing I got so lost in the game. I felt like I was in the game. I took me an hour to play through it but it felt like 10 min. I know it may seem like hyperbole but I am being serious. The experience this game presents is unlike anything of this genre that I have played. You are completely immersed in this world that Giant Sparrow has put together, learning about this family and its unfortunate tragedies.

Based on the graphics, level design, and story this game has beaten most. I am not to familiar with game like this and haven’t played many but it has certainly set the bar for this genre very high for me. The graphics were almost life like for me. The level design was astounding with the design of the house and all its secret passages. The story was otherworldly, even though this game is very short and sweet. I could play it again just to enjoy the story. Its like reading your favorite book for the 10th time. This game is going to get a 5 out of 5 for the Spartan Score!

2 responses to “What Remains of Edith Finch”

1. Katie Pollock says:

I’ve never heard of the game before, thanks for the suggestion!

2. Mike Blake says:

Nice Post