Halo 3: ODST

Halo 3: ODST is a First Person Shooter game released in 2009 for Xbox 360. It is the fourth installment in the Halo series developed by Bungie and 343-Industries. The Halo series is one of my personal favorites, that being said I am incredibly excited for this one.

I would like to start out by talking about the Halo series as a whole. This franchise has been a huge part of my life since I was a kid. I remember watching my dad play this and playing it with him as well. The funny thing about this series is that there is a specific order that you have to play the games in. You can play them in order of release and still understand it but, I got the most enjoyment out of playing them in story order which is as follows; Halo: Reach, Halo: Combat Evolved (CE), Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo 4, Halo 5: Guardians, and on December 8th Halo Infinite.

That being said Halo 3: ODST is the 4th installment but the 5th game in story order. The story of this game starts with explaining how the alien race that we are fighting against are known as “The Covenant” and how the managed to find Earth which has been kept secret from the universe to protect it. When the Covenant find Earth a team of ODSTs or Orbital Drop Shock Troopers is sent to the city of New Mombasa to recover the City’s AI. But during the landing a Covenant cruiser went into slip space and threw the pods of course and scattered the team. Now your objective is to get the team back together and fight your way through the city to recover the AI.

This game overall was awesome, sometimes it is a bit tough to navigate the streets and you can easily get lost if you don’t use your HUD correctly. The gameplay isn’t difficult on the easiest level, I was able to finish it in a matter of hours unlike some of the other Xbox 360 games I have played. The graphics were very beautiful, it was so cool to see what a Utopian super developed city looked like. The level design was so cool and the game had aspects that you don’t see in any other franchise such as some of the enemies like Scarabs which are like huge sentient tanks or a Banshee which is a Covenant fighter jet pretty much. The weapons are super cool as well and learning which ones are the most efficient for the enemies you are fighting are cool.

This game is an Easy 5 out of 5 Stars for me. Just between the graphics, level design, and story. Not to mention it is part of my favorite series.

2 responses to “Halo 3: ODST”

1. Alex says:

Very in-depth review! This gave me a good idea of the game, and now I am intrigued. Perhaps I will play it in the near future.

2. Katie Pollock says:

I thought your review was very intriguing. I never grew up with Halo but I have the Master Chief Collection and I have been meaning to play it. I really do appreciate your insight.