Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is a game by LucasArts and Havok Studios playable on the Xbox 360, Wii, and Playstation 3. This game in general from its story to its mechanics is amazing. I have owned the game for quite some time now but just recently found a great interest in it and wanted to play it again, I sure am glad I did.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Main Menu)

Star Wars has always been a huge interest of mine, reading the books, watching all the movies and TV shows about it. But when it came to the games, I never really dabbled in them outside of the Lego games. This particular game seems to be set in between movies three and four. This game is about Darth Vader’s secret apprentice, known as Starkiller (Galen Marek), is sent on a mission to hunt and kill the few remaining Jedi. But a cruel twist of fate, the manipulation of his master and the guidance of a Jedi will lead him on a path that will forever change the galaxy (IMDB).

The gameplay mechanics are unbelievably good. Just like any game your skills progress from being only a Sith Apprentice, only being able to use basic saber and force skills. To being a full on Jedi/Sith Master. You can do force upgrades which upgrade your stats, skills, and even can buy special attack combos. You do this by leveling up, once you gain enough force points you level up an get your force upgrade currency. The movement and camera are really well put together as well. I like how the game relies on attack combos because it adds a good level of difficulty to the game. At first you seemingly are just button mashing but eventually you learn in some of the boss fights that button mashing will just simply not cut it. This leads you to need and want to learn the awesome combos built into the game, combos that can give you the winning edge in a boss fight and that are just super cool.

When you first load into the game you play a short intro mission as the famed Darth Vader, which this little intro level introduces us to our main character and gives some background on him. Your first real mission is at a Tie Fighter Factory where you hunt your first Jedi. I made a short video of this level to showcase some gameplay. I like how the creators only use a small amount of worlds to make this game, that way later in the game when you return to a world you can see what the empire has done to destroy it and change it. It made me feel what the character felt about wanting to betray the emperor. My only issue with this story and it isn’t a huge issue its actually incredibly smart on behalf of the creators, but the story ended in a total cliff hanger, the story is so good then ends so abruptly that it makes you want to play the second one. Long story short I am going to buy Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II on Steam within the next couple of days.

I personally give this game 4/5 Stars for Spartan Score.

One response to “Star Wars: The Force Unleashed”

1. Carli Podella says:

Nice post!