TimeShift

TimeShift is a game by Saber Interactive and published by Activision. Playable on Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. This is a game where you have to master time to become the ultimate weapon! In this first person shooter from 2007, you can manipulate time to best your enemies and avoid dangerous obstacles to get to your final goal of stopping Dr. Aiden Krone who has made a Time Jump across the space-time continuum – a reckless act with frightening consequences. Now, a disturbing alternate reality has evolved within the bleak and rain-soaked Alpha District. (from Steam)

When I was creating this blog I was currently in a time where I wanted to go back and play games on some older consoles, the one a chose was Xbox 360. So when choosing the games I wanted to play I read the back of TimeShift and it sounded super cool. Especially with being able to manipulate time. I had never played a game where you can do that. So I thought what the heck let’s play it.

Overall this game was pretty good. Though even on the lowest difficulty it was very tough. I personally am not a person who likes to go look up on the internet how to get passes a level but there were some levels in this game I did have to search after trying to pass the level for over an hour. But I love a challenge which is what kept making me want to play the game. I have to say in all the years I have been playing video games this has to be one of the toughest games I have ever played.

Between the mechanics from this game being extremely different from any other first person shooter I have ever played and trying to remember that I have the time manipulation ability made for a tough time adjusting to this game. But once you have it down this game is beautiful. This game being a bit older it wasn’t in 1080p but despite that the game itself is really cool looking. The level design is amazing, I like the post apocalyptic look if the Alpha District. Also the choice to have different types of weapons fit into how you finish a level is pretty cool rather than just getting to pick which ones you want to use. Like one of the levels you needed the sniper, you couldn’t finish the level without it.

Each level was its own beautiful puzzle mixed in with a little time manipulation fun. Some of the puzzles in each level you couldn’t solve with any old smarts. You had to use your smarts plus think of how stopping, slowing down, or even reversing time can help. In one of the levels I got stuck on for like an hour in a half total. There was a tank that was blocking your path and shooting at you from the entrance. For the longest time I thought shooting it with the turret was going to help me, well it didn’t. I thought grenades maybe? Nope. I was forgetting my biggest strength, time. You had to not stop time or reverse it, but slow it so you could walk passed the tank’s shooting and walk down a subway staircase.

One of the things I thought was the funniest was what some of the NPC’s (Non-Player Characters) say. When you would use your TimeShift ability around NPC’s they would say things like “How did he do that” or “He was just there, and now he’s over there. How?!” and it just cracked me up!

Overall I give this game a 3/5 Stars for the Spartan Score. I think the games level design and mechanics outshined its story. The games story got lost in the shooting sometimes but overall was pretty good. The game looked amazing and had a wonderful level of difficulty and really made me think differently then I usually would.

One response to “TimeShift”

1. Carli Podella says:

This game seems similar to Call of Duty