I won’t lie, I’ve personally tried a detox or two. Everytime I detoxed, I did feel lighter and I lost a couple of pounds. However, I also felt weak and tired, and the weight didn’t stay off. There has been a lot of hype around detox diets, but what is true and what is not? Let’s take a look.

Fallacy 1: A detox diet is better for you that a diet that consists of exercising and eating a fewer amount of calories.

A detox diet has the potential to help remove toxins from the body, but it isn’t very beneficial when it comes to weight loss (especially long-term weight loss). Some detox diets are also very intense and can harm the body. It is better to have a balanced diet (in some cases a calorie controlled diet) and exercise daily, rather than deny your body of certain nutrients needed and ignore exercising.

Fallacy 2: A detox diet is the quickest way to lose weight.

Yes, you can lose weight on a detox diet rather quickly. But the weight loss is usually water weight and as soon as you stop participating in the diet, you will gain it right back. It is much easier to lose weight and stick to a diet when you simply eat foods in moderation and exercise regularly.

Fallacy 3: When detoxing, you don’t have to exercise.

By avoiding exercise, you are losing muscle mass and ignoring your joints. Exercising is good for your muscles, joints, and heart, therefore it shouldn’t be ignored in any kind of diet.

Fallacy 4: Drinking large quantities of water will detoxify the body.

There is some truth to this statement. Drinking a lot of water is good for you, but it is not in itself a “detox”. You should be consuming water regularly with a healthy diet, and exercise,

Many people are active in a detox diet with the best intentions. However, don’t forget to acknowledge that these diets could harm your body. It is important to intake all of the proper nutrients, have a balanced diet, and exercise to live a long and healthy life.

Image result for detox meme