Pour some STEVIA on me!
Def Leppard sang it—“Pour some sugar on me”, and that is what we do. In today’s world, or North American culture at least, it seems like nothing is ever sweet enough for people. We add sugar to coffee, rice crispy cereal, fruit, toast, and if your family is anything like mine—baked goods are better when you add extra sugar! The real question is, if you want something to be sweeter, why do we choose sugar or “natural sweeteners” as the go-to additive? Is that really the best option?
There are lots of different so-called “natural sweeteners” out there, like Splenda, Equate, Nectresse, and the list goes on. The one that I have come to learn about and truly trust is stevia. I have grown up with extra-sugar being added to everything I ate, and recently my mom switched out sugar for stevia, and I didn’t even notice a difference until she told me!
Stevia is a plant that is part of the sunflower family. It is known for its sweet tasting leaves. It is a plant that contains natural sweeteners that are used in foods (WebMD) This natural sweetener comes right from the plant with no added chemicals making it truly NATURAL!
These proven facts about stevia that will prove why it’s the best natural sweetener out there are:
- It does not contain elements that cause imbalance in the insulin levels of people with diabetes or issues with blood pressure. (The Sweet Facts on Stevia)
- Stevia is 300 times sweeter than sugar and about 35-40 times sweeter than sucrose.
- If you want to lose weight, Stevia contains no calories and can be a great start toward losing those first few pounds to get you motivated. (The Sweet Facts on Stevia)
- Stevia is available in many different forms. There is the dried leaf, a white powder, or even a liquid. These many forms allow it to be added to any food or drink.
Stay away from the chemicals or the high calorie sweeteners and broaden your horizons. Real cane sugar may also be natural, but it is high in calories. Why not use stevia when it is also natural, but LOW in calories. It might not please you as much as it did me, but it is worth a shot. What do you have to lose?
Here are some delicious recipes that include stevia as the natural sweetener instead of sugar. Give them a try and let me know what you think!
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- New York Style Cheesecake
- Blueberry Muffins
- Baked Beans
- Kale and Cabbage Slaw
“Always remember that it doesn’t matter how slow you go, as long as you keep on going”
Sources: The Sweet Facts on Stevia, WebMD, Pinterest, Yummly