I know coming to a new school either as a transfer student or incoming freshman is scary. It’s a new chapter in your life and you don’t know what to expect. Being a Junior here at UW-W, I have seen many transfer students and incoming freshmen and I have personally helped them with their transition to a new school. I have gathered all of my experiences and created a list to help ease your nerves. 

You WILL make friends

I’m sure leaving your high school friends and other friends from past schools is hard and you think that you will never make any new ones. THAT IS WRONG. Here at UW-W, they want to make sure all incoming students feel comfortable with their transition, so they have an orientation for all types of new students. This is a time where you can ask questions, see campus, and meet some friendly faces that could help you adapt to a new school. In your classes, dorms, and activities, there are so many chances to make friends. As one of the orientation leaders, despite all of the changes that will be happening in the fall, I can ensure you that we will make sure all incoming freshmen get experiences that will help them exceed in college.

Get Involved

This is one of the biggest things that I tell my incoming freshmen. No matter what your major is, there is some sort of club or organization for you. Getting involved helps you meet new people/friends, gain personal and professional experiences, and network! I got involved in the American Marketing Association, and I can honestly say it has changed my life. It has given me experiences that make me stand out to others, and I have made some unforgettable memories and lifelong friendships! There is something for everyone at UW-W, so with a little research, you can find where you belong! Even though some things on campus will be a little different, all of the clubs and organizations will ensure that students have the same experience. 

There IS stuff to do

The typical stereotype coming into UW-W is that there is nothing to do during the week or on the weekends. That is FALSE. There is so much to do! Want to go out and get dinner with friends? There are so many places to go around Whitewater! Some fan favorites include Cozumel or 841 Brewhouse! Want to go bowling? Head over to Warhawk Alley in the University Center and bowl for cheap. Want to see a movie? Summers Auditorium in the UC has weekly movies for FREE with your HawkCard (or $3 without) or go to the Whitewater Cinema! Don’t feel like going out to get food? Order in! You can order pizza, Taco Fresco, and so much more! Just do a little research! 

Connect with Professors/Classmates

I know thinking about life after college is scary and intimidating, but with all of the helpful resources here on campus, it makes it easier! I know its cliché to say to get to know your professors and see them during their office hours, but it is actually really helpful. They get to help you when you are struggling and also get to know you more! When it comes to job recommendations, you’ll need to find professors/professionals that know you the best! By visiting their office hours, where this is in-person or virtually, they can give you a descriptive recommendation! As far as classmates, getting to know them will help with school work and potentially your career! Who knows, in the future a past classmate may know someone that could help you out!  

You WILL be just fine

I know every incoming student has a common fear that now they are alone, they don’t know what to do. There are so many resources here to help you out. Immediately your first day here, every new student is assigned a Peer Mentor and they will guide you and be there for you throughout your first semester! Other people that are here to guide and help you include your RA’s, professors, or even your classmates! You are all in this together, you are not alone, and you will figure it out!

I hope these tips helped you feel a little less nervous and a little more excited about coming to Whitewater! UW-W is a great place to make some unforgettable memories, and I hope you take these tips and run with them!