As we’re nearing the end of semester, it seems that sleep (one of my favorite activities) is becoming more and more non-existent. After all, there’s classes, homework, working different on- and off-campus jobs, and of course, keeping track of those student organizations and other involvements. Anyone else know what I’m talking about? It seems like the end of the semester is the cumulating point of this giant balancing act, and right on the tippy top is trying to get my student org ready for another semester, when I’m not even sure if I’m ready for the end of this semester!

1911840_10202773783203119_1982730574_nI am co-president of AIGA, the graphic design organization on campus. To continue our growth as designers we do work both on- and off-campus. As a leader, there are many things to keep in mind. We plan events such as workshops, visits from speakers, and weekly meetings. Fundraising is another thing to keep in mind. We focus on not just raising money for our organization, but for the community. We also concentration on membership; this includes how to recruit and organize people on our board. Needless to say, all of these responsibilities keep me and my fellow board members pretty busy. Sometimes overwhelmingly so.

Well, luckily for me (and you!) the UC is very helpful and a resourceful place to all student organizations. Just to give you a little insight, there are about 200 student organizations at UW-Whitewater registered with Career & Leadership Development. Let’s assume that each of these orgs has about 5 leadership/E-Board positions. That adds up to around 1,000 students going through the exact same situation as you. So, needless to say, you’re not alone. Myself, all of the other student organization leaders, and the UC feel your pain.

As many of you have seen walking through the UC, tables are set up by the doors. This is called tabling and is a way for student organizations to spread not just awareness of their organization, but to fulfill fundraising needs. AIGA has used the tables numerous times, such as December 8th and 9th AIGA will selling Christmas cards! Reservations for tables can be made at the Reservations Office in UC 253.

There are opportunities here in the UC to share information and advertise an event your organization may be hosting. One way is table tents, the paper folded triangles that are on many tables through out the building. Banners can also be displayed in the concourse on the clothesline.

The UC also has 15 rooms with technology available for student organizations to host their meetings and other events. To reserve a room fill out a request form at  http://www.uww.edu/uc/plan-an-event/room-request  or go to the Reservations Office, UC 253 for more information.

To learn more about advertising in the UC check out http://www.uww.edu/uc/about-the-uc/advertise