Tell us a little bit about yourself?

My name is Laura Dobke, I use she/they pronouns and have been a UC employee for a little over 1 year now and I work for the UC Graphics and Marketing Office as one of three UC Marketing Assistants!

Tell us a little bit about your unit

The Graphics and Marketing office is such a fun, positive, and diligent workplace. I look forward to going to work everyday to see the family we have created in the office and I couldn’t imagine a more enjoyable work environment. The Graphics and Marketing team works hard to ensure students have access to information and events to provide a welcoming environment to students.

What does an average day look like working for the UC? What does your position entail?

An average day as a Marketing Assistant in the UC starts by going to Willie’s for breakfast and catching up with my coworkers while clocking in. Once clocked in, I go over my to-do lists, social media schedule, and the list of events and their descriptions. Every week I hang posters in the Center of the Arts, Drumlin Dining Hall, Heidie Hall, and Winter Hall. I also upload signage to offices campus wide, post on the UC Snapchat, collaborate with departments to pull their marketing numbers, take photos, and plan special marketing events for different holidays.

What does being a UC employee mean to you?

Being a UC employee means the world to me. I love working with the students and Jenny in the Marketing office and I wouldn’t be the person, student, or marketer I am today without the development and support of the Graphics and Marketing office. Being a UC employee means staying up to date with UC events and deadlines and making sure that the students are aware of them as well. I have grown so much in this role and look forward to continuing growing in the UC until I graduate.

What are some of the most memorable days/moments working for the UC?

One of the most memorable moments I have working for the UC was creating the “Hey Barbie ” reel in the UC Concourse during a Soar Day, having a police dog featured as a clip, and getting to film a fun and entertaining video with my coworkers across all different departments.

Why should students visit the UC?

Students should visit the UC for the best food options on campus, fun events with opportunities to win free prizes, and the opportunity to get connected with student organizations and other students.

How will your position at the UC help you in your future career?

My position at the UC will help me in my future career by teaching me the foundation of Marketing and the variety of skills necessary to be successful in this field. I have learned so much about using a PC, different media platforms, and how to break out of my comfort zone personally and professionally.

How do you balance school, work, extracurricular activities, and a social life?

The work, school, extracurricular activities, and social life balance is difficult but not impossible. Some of the organizations I balance alongside working with the UC are serving as the current Associate Director of Communications for the Whitewater Student Government, the Vice President of Programs for Delta Zeta, and the Business Development Assistant for Sid Grinker Restoration while maintaining a full course load. I utilize my Outlook calendar to stay up to date with where and when I need to be someplace and I utilize many to-do lists to keep caught up and organized with all my endeavors.