Tell us a little bit about yourself.

My name is Kim Clarksen and my pronouns are she/her. I’m the UC Assistant Director for Student Activities & Involvement and I’ve been working here for 18 years now. 

What does an average day look like working for the UC? What does your position entail?

In my work each day is unique. My work is focused on helping students create and manage student organizations, assisting students with getting involved on campus, assessing how our work impacts students’ senses of belonging and career readiness, and advising the Segregated University Fee Allocation Committee (SUFAC) as they go through the annual allocation process of more than $450,000.00. I manage uww.edu/connect, which is the central location for many of our involvement and student organization management tools.

What does being a UC employee mean to you? 

I really enjoy working with a team and in an environment that is all about the student experience. Each staff member who works for the UC cares about student success, student health, and student learning – both in the classroom and outside. I feel confident that when I put on my nametag or polo with the UC’s logo on it, I am connecting myself to a group and a place that puts the student first, and is focused on the development of those who work for the UC – both for their own growth but also for the support of all students.

What are some of the most memorable days/moments working for the UC? 

Some of my most memorable moments working for the UC include:

• Homecoming Bed Races from the UC to Hyland
  • Student Involvement Fairs both in the Hamilton Room and on the Mall
  • Welcoming students into the building during Warhawk Welcome events
  • 1-on-1 conversations with students in the Pride Center and Warhawk Connection Center

Why should students visit the UC? 

There’s something for everyone here – everything from quiet corners to study in, to art to admire and reflect on, to physical activities in Warhawk Alley, to laughter and relationships built in the Warhawk Connection Center, to chances to challenge perceptions of self and others through campus programs, and so much more!

What is one piece of advice you can give to current UW-W students?

College at UW-Whitewater includes so many opportunities – try new things, build your skills, have fun, and through all of your experiences in and outside the classroom you will prepare yourself professionally and personally!

What is an accomplishment you are most proud of? 

I am most proud of moments when I can help shine the spotlight on a student who is doing great things.