Oct 12

Story Ideas For The Newsrooms

Newsroom

http://www.poynter.org/news/mediawire/377674/how-3-new-jersey-newsrooms-are-turning-to-their-readers-for-story-ideas/

This is a very interesting story that I found on feedly, this article is about three different newsrooms in New Jersey. I just find it interesting that the newsroom would cares about the opinion of the readers, and they’re looking for story ideas from the readers.

Honestly, I don’t know how this could work against these three newsrooms, because if you are getting ideas from the readers; than all of your stories should appeal to the audience. On the other hand I feel like you shouldn’t depend on the readers for every story, which is the only thing that can work against.

I think it is a good idea to get story ideas from the reader; this is a world where websites want more fan participation. These three Newsrooms leaving their story ideas up to the readers isn’t bad at all too me it’s just another case of fan participation to me.

So my question is, should more newsrooms do what these three newsrooms are doing? I think they should, because I feel it would draw more viewers. I’m pretty sure that the newsrooms know a good story idea and a bad story idea, I don’t think that this would hurt the newsrooms in anyway.

1 comment

1 Comment so far

1. Kyle October 17th, 2015 12:25 am

There’s nothing wrong with getting story ideas for the audience, but a newsroom should still be digging into issues that the audience might not be focused on, like corruption or closed government. There are some things only reporters are likely to notice because it’s supposed to be their job to be looking.