As you settle into the Fall semester, I wanted to take a few moments to share the (relatively) new LTC mission with you. We are widely known for our support of the learning management system, D2L, and the work we do with instructors to help in the design and redesign of courses for the online and blended environments. We are incredibly proud of the work we do in these areas, but in my first blog post I thought I would share our mission as a whole to give you a sense of some of the other things we do in the LTC.
- WE BELIEVE in integrating pedagogy and technology to assist instructors in developing effective learning experiences. We do not believe in using technology for technology’s sake or because it is the latest fad. Instead, we believe in understanding issues, discussing a wide array of possible solutions (both technology-based and not), implementing strategies, and evaluating their effectiveness.
- WE SUPPORT instructors in their pursuit of excellence in teaching and student learning through offering quality services, timely assistance, and cutting edge programming that work to help instructors to explore, design, implement, and evaluate evidence-based teaching and learning with technology strategies that aim to increase student engagement and success.
- WE INNOVATE with instructors by initiating emerging technology exploration projects that investigate learning technology trends in higher education and how they may be utilized here at UW-Whitewater. Further, we conduct research studies around the learning technologies that mean the most to our instructors, students, and institution. Results from projects and studies are disseminated within our institution and beyond, further solidifying UWW’s reputation as a leader in creating transformational educational environments and implementing innovative programs that support success for all students.
- WE CONNECT people on campus and beyond who have the same interests and are doing the same things to create community among instructors who teach with technology, spurring widespread sharing of strategies that work in solving common teaching challenges.
- WE PARTNER collaborate, and communicate with colleges, programs, departments, instructors, and tech-liaisons to understand and meet university instructional needs, providing experiences that are valued by the campus community in regards to learning technologies and student success.
- WE LEAD learning technology initiatives and extend expertise to campus wide initiatives focused on increasing student access, enhancing engagement, and supporting success, helping them to become critical thinkers, engaged citizens, and educated employees.
Guided by an advisory group, made up from instructional representatives from each of the colleges, we value a data-driven approach taken from what instructors report to us in the annual Instructor Support Survey and trends we see in research related to technology, student engagement, and success in higher education.
In my next blog installments, I will share information about some of the exciting projects we’re working on in each of these different areas. Stay tuned!
If you have any other questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to contact the UW-W Learning Technology Center.