Week 10 Sports Update

NBA: When are the NBA and live sports going to come back? That’s one of the main questions everyone across the country is wondering right now as we sit in isolation trying to stay safe from the coronavirus. Unfortunately, the answer is that no one knows, not even NBA commissioner Adam Silver. 

Early on Monday evening, Silver joined TNT’s, Ernie Johnson for an interview that was broadcast on the NBA’s Twitter feed and he answered plenty of questions about what’s going on behind the scenes at league offices right now. Perhaps the most interesting thing he said is that the league likely won’t have any clarity or the ability to make decisions about returning to play until at least May. In fact, Silver said in some ways he knows less now than he did right after suspending the season. 

NFL: The Arizona Cardinals made a massive move on March 16, trading for star receiver DeAndre Hopkins. On March 20, the team announced the trade that sent running back David Johnson, a second-round pick and a 2021 fourth-rounder to the Houston Texans for Hopkins and a fourth-round selection. More than two weeks later, the deal has yet to become official with both players needing to pass physicals till the swap is formally complete. Despite the delay, Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said in a video conference Tuesday that he’s not worried about the deal getting scuttled.

http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvideos%2Fnfl-network-total-access%2F0ap3000001108349%2FSmith-Sr-Hopkins-gives-Cardinals-confidence-in-tough-NFC-West

MLB: MLB is considering playing games as early as May, ESPN reported. Other reports say the league is considering having all teams play in Arizona, where half of MLB teams hold their spring training in the Phoenix area. The stadiums are all within about 50 miles from each other, allowing teams to quarantine in a hotel and not have to travel very far for their games. The games, of course, would be played without fans. ESPN also reported that the league is discussing using an electronic strike zone so the plate umpire would not have to be right on the catcher and hitter. Still, the league says it has yet to seek approval for any specific plan from government officials or the MLB Players Association so far.

“The health and safety of our employees, players, fans and the public at large are paramount, and we are not ready at this time to endorse any particular format for staging games in light of the rapidly changing public health situation caused by the coronavirus,” according to MLB’s statement. The MLB Players Association had no comment to this story.

4 thoughts on “Week 10 Sports Update”

1. Gosh, I miss sports. Adam Silver is doing the right thing though, in letting the NBA be pushed and pushed and pushed. I don’t feel bad.

Want to know what others are doing in this time of boredom? I saw the New York Times sports section running an article about a Youtuber’s Marble racing channel. Good thing we’re not that bored yet.

2. I hope the MLB comes back but I don’t know how I’m going to feel about not having an actual umpire behind the plate. What if the machine messes up or glitches out.? How reliable is this strike zone machine? I can tell you that all hell will break loose if it misses a strike or ball once?