Uncategorized

TIP 2: Establish Reasonable Goals

If you’re impatient like me, you might just want to skip the growing process and the awkward streams where it’s just you talking to yourself hoping for a viewer to shop. However, the struggle of finding viewers is essential to growing your platform. If you’re attempting to gain a following then you should establish some goals.

I’ve watched a few videos that show pro streamers giving advice to new streamers. Another tip that the pros recommend is : create reasonable goals. The key word here is reasonable.

First and foremost, your number on goal should be to have fun. Streaming should always be about doing something you love, not about trying to make a quick buck. So make sure that you’re being your authentic self and enjoying the games that you love.

Now that we’ve established the number one goal, we can move on to the next few. It is fine to have a follower and subscriber goal but make sure that it is reasonable so that you don’t set yourself up for failure. For example, my current amount of followers is 14 and 0 subscribers. My goal for the end of this blog series is to have 25 followers and 3 subscribers.

Your goals also don’t have to be about account growth. Your goals could include beating your kill streak, reaching a victory goal, or even attempting to beat a game. These goals are simple and measurable and can add as motivation to you and can bring in viewers to join you on this journey.

The last goal you as a content creator should be thinking about is generating a following that aligns with your views. For me this would include viewers that do not cheat, bully, or use hate speech. Since you’re trying to gain a following you should realize the responsibility that comes with your platform. Make sure that if your stream is rated G then the content is also G.

Goal Check: Taking into consideration tip 2 i’ve decided to write out my goals and see if this will help me grow.

1. have fun
  2. Play games I enjoy that challenge me to do better
  3. Be an ally and make everyone feel welcome to the stream
  4. Play games with followers
  5. Have 5 viewers at a time
  6. gain 25 followers and 5 subscribers

11 Comments

• Makai

Definitely excited to read about streaming on Twitch. I think the point about reasonable goals is very important, especially in that your goals can relate to things other than your account growth. In some cases, goals related to your stream content could inherently increase interest in your stream. Speedrunners, for example, focus primarily on setting new Personal Bests (PBs) in whatever game they’re playing. Generally speaking, setting new PBs or World Records (WRs) will draw more people to your stream. Setting a new WR in a game that’s already fairly popular will almost certainly increase viewership.
    Looking forward to seeing more!

• Billie Jo Parker

I myself am not a streamer, but I found this post very interesting. I am one who likes to watch streamers play different game I like on Twitch. I can only imagine how hard it is to start a streaming channel and I think goals would be very important. I like how you talked about goals other than reaching a certain amount of subcribers/followers. Sometimes I feel that people start to care more about subs than creating content for the fun of it. Overall, I thought you gave great examples of realistic goals and it gave me more insight about streamers in general!

• Joseph Doll

Nice post! I’ve thought about that before (im not a content creator myself) but i’ve seen how there are so many people who are successful at streaming video games. I guess those goals you listed are really what took them to big successes. I bet they would also say to stay committed to streaming x amount of days out of the week and remain consistent at it. I watch a lot of podcasts on youtube and everyone always says when you’re starting out just keep doing what you want and be consistant and the following will come as a result.

• Hannah Leigh Broome

Thank you for your comment! I agree, as you improve your craft then the community will build with you!

• Jeff W

This was an interesting read. A good friend of mine streams weekly, and I’ve been considering streaming games myself. I’ll have to keep an eye on your blog and recommend it to my friend when I see him again.

• Tyler Wojcik

Hey Hannah,
    I enjoyed the content you provided this week. Having fun is so important and finding a career that you can enjoy is a must. I think these goals are great because they are reachable and all help build-up to bigger goals. It’s important to enjoy the small victories. Thanks for sharing this week!

• Hannah Broome

Thank you! I agree. The small victories are what keep me going the most. It’s fun and feels like a surprise that way.

• Patrick Cesarone

I think it’s really important to cultivate a viewership based on “you” rather than let the games you play define your channel. It might be more exciting to randomly blow up, but being able to build a community that reflects you and your personality postively has got to be so exciting. Best of luck!

• Hannah Broome

I totally agree! It’s super important to be authentic and want to have viewers that like the same things as you and like who are you. Games get boring but personalities never do!