The UW-Whitewater Learning Technology Center (LTC) is currently looking for instructors to explore the use of adaptive learning during the Spring 2019 semester.
About Adaptive Learning
Adaptive learning platforms employ an online learning system personalized to each student. Content and/or assessments adapt based on student performance, providing feedback (including additional learning material) so students can better understand, and master, the course material.
Participants in this project will utilize the adaptive learning platform Cerego, which is designed to comprise roughly between 7 and 10% of the learning activities/assessments in a course. The purpose of this project is to explore the impact of an adaptive learning platform on student success. Initial guiding questions for this exploration are:
- How does adaptive learning influence student learning?
- How does adaptive learning influence course attrition?
- How does adaptive learning influence student satisfaction?
Instructors have flexibility in determining the course in which to implement the adaptive learning platform. By taking part in the project, instructors agree to fully participate in, and complete, all project requirements. These requirements include a series of scaffolded, interactive, face-to-face instructional development sessions. These sessions are designed to assist instructors in successfully implementing adaptive learning in one of their courses.
The following semester-by-semester breakdown conveys the expectations for participating instructors:
- Attend faculty development sessions with LTC staff (dates TBD); and
- Create, and present, a detailed plan for use that specifies how adaptive learning will be used in one Spring 2018 course.
- Revise detailed plan for use, and submit revised plan to LTC.
- Conduct at least one course using adaptive learning (as described in your plan for use); and
- Complete early semester “check-in” form for LTC staff; and
- Attend faculty development session focused on sharing experiences using adaptive learning (date TBD); and
- Support the LTC in administering an end-of-semester (IRB approved) survey about the course to students.
- Complete video reflection on using adaptive learning in the course. This video reflection will be scheduled during late Spring semester or Summer 2019, at your convenience. The purpose of the video reflection is to share what was learned with other instructors who may be interested in using adaptive learning in the future.
Instructors participating in the adaptive learning project will receive a stipend to compensate the work they put into their course redesign. If all required components are completed, participating instructors can expect to receive a stipend of $1000.
The Qualtrics application form is available here. After you submit an application, LTC staff will be in contact with you to discuss the next steps.
Need Additional Information?
Consider attending one of the LTC’s adaptive learning information sessions.
If you have any additional questions about the adaptive learning project, feel free to contact the UW-W Learning Technology Center.