Mental health is something that most, if not all, college students struggle with on a daily basis. This can make it hard for students to keep up to date on school work and to live their everyday lives. As someone who struggles with anxiety and depression, I have had to come up with health ways to cope with these struggles, and how to manage stress related to school. Here are some statistics about college students and mental health:

• 73% of students report of having a mental health crisis during college
  • 44% of students report of struggling with depression
  • 1/3 of college students struggle with doing school work due to mental health issues
  • 41% of college students report struggles with anxiety

As we can see from the statistics above, it is not uncommon to struggle with mental health issues during your college career. As these issues seem to be common, there are some helpful and healthy ways to cope with them. These things can include things like:

• Talk to a professional – most campuses offer free counseling services
  • Get the right amount of sleep – it is suggested adults get between 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night
  • Practicing mindfulness – mindfulness is doing things like yoga, meditation, and there is even a app to guide you through practicing mindfulness
  • Lean on your family and friends – having a close knit relationship with people around you can give you a sigh of relief and a sense of comfort when things get rough
  • Take time for yourself – a reminder to not overwhelm yourself and that you should always have time for yourself

As for myself, taking time for myself is one of my biggest stressors. Time management is something that has helped me relieve my stress and organize my school work.

Making sure your prioritize your mental health is the best way to keep track of yourself and your well being. This is a reminder to keep yourself in check and to make sure your friends are okay.

8 thoughts on “Mental Health & College”

1. The tips that you give in this post to focus on self care and increasing mental health are practices that all college students should be implementing in their own lives. I feel that if college students struggling with some of the statistics mentioned in the post utilized these tips their mental health would increase or it would at least cause a bit more peace of mind. I know that college can be stressful for me, and doing these tips help tremendously with feeling my best and being able to get my school work done.

2. As we are all college students, it is really good to emphasize how important mental health is for students. The tips that you recommend are so beneficial and can help people who are struggling. I really enjoyed your blog post and am looking forward to reading more from you this semester!

3. As someone who feels like they’re also a part of these statistics, I really resonate with this blog post. People don’t talk enough about how difficult college is for the students, not just academically, but mentally as well. The pressure can easily get overwhelming so it’s important to know how to manage your feelings and emotions during this jam packed phase of life. I always forget the campus offers free counseling. I love therapy but have had to hit pause on it because of how expensive it does get. People don’t understand how nice it is to have someone to talk to who accepts what you’re going through for what it is. All of these tips I’ve put into practice myself and am glad to be reminded of a few after this read!

4. As a college student myself, again, I found myself relating to your post for another week! I love the simplicity and rawness you provide in your posts about college students and our many many struggles. It was helpful seeing the statistics, because it makes me realize that there are so many people like me struggling with the same things. Keep doing what you’re doing, because I’m loving reading your posts each week!

5. I love this article as I believed it’s a subject that isn’t talked about enough! College students are put on to a big load of pressure in order to be successful in terms of being capable academically. This is even worse for someone who is experiencing anxiety or depression and I understand through my roommates who have anxiety, it is no fun and it makes schoolwork extremely challenging. The fact that 73% of students experience a mental health crisis in college just shows how much pressure is being put upon students to succeed. These tips are extremely useful for those experiencing anxiety or depression and I hope these tips can help somebody or even myself to not be too anxious about school.

6. This was so refreshing to read. As someone who struggles with a chronic illness that comes with anxiety, depression, and ADHD, I have a hard time completing school work and focusing. It’s absolutely exhausting. Taking care of your mental health is incredibly important at every point of your life, but it’s so hard to remember to care for yourself when you’re in school because you are so focused on deadlines. Thanks for the reminder!

7. Hey Kaycee, great post. I think this is an incredibly important topic. Although now, as a senior, I’ve found great methods to control my mental health, I was once in the same boat as a lot of college students. I used to go to bed too late, lose sleep stressing, wake up early and feel groggy. I used to think I could deal with it all on my own and seclude myself from my friends. But once I started actually practicing letting things go, looking at the bigger picture, and understanding that everything is temporary I began to sleep better and stress less.

Great post!

8. I loved all of the ways you can cope with mental health. Talking to someone is something that is very important. I think keeping all of your feelings in, is something that can get very stressful and not good for your health. Talking to someone is, whether it be a friend, a family member, or even a therapist can really help you not only express what you are feeling but also help you release any emotions you have. Great post!