Tell us a little bit about yourself.

My name is Brielle Bird and my pronouns are she/her. I’m a sophomore studying Marketing with a Digital Marketing Emphasis and Human Resource Management. This is my second semester working for the UC and I’m the Reservations Assistant & Building Manager – Reservations Department. Also, I’m involved in other organizations such as SHRM, AMA Digital Division, and Honors Student Association.

Tell us a little bit about your department. 

In the Reservations Department, we deal with receiving and setting up reservations for events and meetings from students, staff, organizations, and more. As a Reservations Assistant, it is my job to communicate with the people requesting these events and meetings. It is important to book the events in the correct files, software, and documents as well as communicating to the Set-Up Crew and Building Managers. On the physical side of Reservations, this is where both Set-Up and Building Managers apply these requests. We are in charge of setting up the rooms correctly to the reports, helping out any customers’ needs and wants, and communicating with each other to make the work efficient and effective. 

What does an average day look like working for the UC? What does your position entail?

Reservations Assistant: A typical day for me is to arrive at the office at 8 am to open up. When doing an opening shift, there are daily tasks that need to be accomplished. First, I make sure the blinds are down and the door is open for people to come in. Then, I take on completing door cards for the next day. After, I check to see if any tables in the UC are being reserved for the next day as well. These papers are put at each table and an overview is put down in the Info Desk for them to acknowledge as well. Once in a while, Daily Events also needs to be updated. This is done by creating an “Op Report” of the next future days to keep the UC events up to date for everyone to see. Once all of these tasks are complete, it is time to take on any emails or tasks in our booking software “25Live”. “25Live” is where we reserve not only rooms in the UC but also Hyland Hall, signboards, and banners. All of our requests are put in here and any other documents needed. This is the usual routine that I have when working opening shifts. 

Building Manager: A typical day for me is to arrive once everyone in the offices is about to leave or has left. I always communicate with my coworker before me to keep up with any rooms and situations that have been taken care of. Once I am officially working, my job is to set up any rooms that are needed the night of or the next morning, walk around each hour to track the number of people in each section, and make sure the UC is overall safe and clean. I usually deal with different setbacks but are handled through contacting other staff. Once the night comes to an end, it is my job to close up the UC by turning off lights, TVs, fireplaces, and locking up all of the doors. 

What does being a UC employee mean to you? 

Being a UC employee has helped give me an opportunity to make connections and get to know the UC family more. I truly enjoy and respect how hard working each and every department is. All of us have one main goal and that is to keep the UC great (which is always true!). I love how welcoming it was when I first started in January and I have become close to all of my coworkers and supervisors. It has made me respect and acknowledge how much UW-W does for the students and staff as well. If it wasn’t for the UC, our campus would be so different. 

What are some of the most memorable days/moments working for the UC? 

I personally don’t have any memorable days/moments working here because I started during prime COVID-19 here on campus. I wasn’t able to attend UC Kickoff in person either but if I would’ve been able to go I bet it was so fun! I do know in the future I will definitely have some great memories and moments here. 

Why should students visit the UC? 

Students should visit the UC not only for the food but also for all of the events and activities that the UC has to offer. There are so many ways to have an entertaining day/night here whether it be watching a movie in Summers Auditorium, participating in karaoke in the Down Under, or going bowling in Warhawk Alley. It is a great way to stay involved on campus while also getting the opportunity to create new friendships and interests.

How will your position at the UC help you in your future career? 

My positions here at the UC will help in my future career due to my time management, work ethic, and connections. Handling two campus jobs while also being involved with organizations and attending seven classes has truly tested my time management here. Being able to balance all of this will help in my future career due to the many tasks, events, and meetings I will be attending for that job. My work ethic has been strong before working at the UC but now since I am a full-time student and also working this has made my work ethic even stronger. I love that I am able to still work hard and get financial support through a welcoming job environment. Lastly, the connections I have here will help me when I start working at an official company. Knowing how to connect with coworkers is so important and it has taught me how to be a team player and how to communicate effectively. 

How do you balance school, work, extracurricular activities, and a social life? 

I’m not going to lie, it’s difficult sometimes. This semester is truly testing me with working 20-25 hour weeks, taking 7 classes, doing honors, being in organizations, and doing intramural sports. Not only do I love to be busy but I also push myself, and maybe I push myself a little too hard. I truly enjoy how busy I am but when I do have more relaxing days I soak it up all I can!