Working

Why should you work during college?

College can be stressful and jammed pack with classes, friends, relationships, clubs, and everything in-between. Now let’s add a job on top of all of that. Depending on what you do for work, it can be very timely and take a toll on yourself and even your schoolwork. However, with that being said, I would still recommend having a job while being in college.

During my freshman year of college, I did not have a job. My parents wanted me to focus on school and make sure I had that under control before I add anything else to my plate. Once sophomore year came around, I go a job on campus and I’ve had that job ever since (2.5 years). I work in the Dean’s office as an assistant and it’s a pretty nice job to have. When I finish my work, I’m allowed to do homework, read, watch Netflix, etc.

Of course, not every college job will be as low-key as mine, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t work. Sometimes I wish I had a job that had me working the whole time I’m there because it can get pretty boring after a few shifts of doing nothing. You may as why I don’t find a new job, but I do like having the free time if I need it and not many other on-campus jobs pay above minimum wage.

That brings me to why you should have a job while being in college. Obviously, I personally don’t make that much, but it’s enough to give me spending money for each money. Another reason is to build relationships, with other co-workers. Those relationships could turn into future references, best friends, or even spouses (you never know).

I also believe that these jobs are a good way to kill time. I personally would be very bored with my days if I just went to class and that was it. Thankfully my job is Monday-Fridays so I have weekends off, but not every job is like that. Sometimes weekends get even get boring, so a job that sometimes has weekend shifts can be nice.

Basically, I recommend getting a job during school. It could only a few hours a week to even 20 hours a week. Whatever works for you because they are 100% worth having.