Food Shopping, Savings/Budgeting

Name-brand​ vs. store (off) brand

People always ask, “is the store brand as good as the name brand?” Sometimes the answer is no, but honestly, a majority of the time it really it. It all depends on the type of products you’re buying, food, cleaning supplies, paper products, clothing, but I have some to notice that the store brand is just as good, if not better.

The main thing that attracts people to the store brand is that it’s cheaper. To me, when you buy name-brand, it seems like you’re just paying for the label, especially when it comes to clothing. Now I do like shopping at American Eagle, but that’s really the only big store I shop at. As you read in one of my previous posts, I enjoy shopping at Marshalls. If I can get a nice pair of leggings for $20, I’m okay that the name-brand isn’t Lulu Lemon, Under Armor, or Athletica. As long as they aren’t see-throuhg, I’m good.

When it comes to name-brand food, yes sometimes they can be better, but not always. There are hundreds of YouTube videos of people comparing name-brand foods to off brands, and they tend to like the off brands more. I personally think that we were raised in a time that if you didn’t get the name-brand, you were weird and classified as “poor”. Today, I feel like things have changed. People buy off branded items for literally everything.

Usually, when I get chips or snacks, I like to get the name brand because I know I like it, but when it comes to bread, cheese, deli meat, I’ll buy the store brand every time. Now part of the reason is that it’s cheaper, but I also don’t notice a difference in the flavors. I’ve always wanted to do a taste test to come the 2, but have yet to do it. Maybe some day when I can afford to buy multiple things at one, I’ll try it.