The Learning Technology Center (LTC) is seeking proposals from instructors who would like to participate in our inaugural Active Learning Academy. The Active Learning Academy will explore how to utilize pedagogy, technology, and space to increase student engagement and learning. Instructors completing the Active Learning Academy, in its entirety, will be eligible for a $1,000 stipend.
What is the Active Learning Academy?
The Active Learning Academy is comprised of four components:
- Active Learning Strategies Seminar: Utilizing Pedagogy, Technology, and Space (Summer 2018): During the Summer of 2018, the LTC will offer a blended active learning instructional development seminar that features four modules that focus on the active learning ecosystem. Please take note that most of the work will be done online, but required face-to-face meetings will be held on Monday, June 4 from 10:00am-noon and Friday, August 3 from 10:00am-noon. You may find more information about the module topics, dates/times, and objectives here.
- Teaching One Course in our Active Learning Classroom (Fall 2018): Upon completion of the Active Learning Strategies Seminar during Summer 2018, instructors will teach their one Fall 2018 proposed course in the LTC’s active learning classroom. Picture of the classroom can be found below.
- Reflecting on Teaching (Fall 2018): During the Fall 2018 semester, Active Learning Academy participants will work with LTC staff to reflect on their teaching. This will include two class observations, one focus group with other Active Learning Academy participants, and facilitating student surveys.
- Sharing Best Practices (Winterim-Spring 2019): During Winterim or Spring 2019, Active Learning Academy participants will come into the LTC’s video recording studio to share insights from their experience. These insights will be shared with other instructors in the future who would like to incorporate active learning strategies into their teaching.
How do I apply?
Please submit your proposal online by filling out the proposal form in the link below. https://uwwhitewater.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6y98gPca2hv3pNH
Submissions are due April 13th.
Instructors will be chosen will be based on the following criteria:
- Availability to attend the Summer 2018 Active Learning Strategies Seminar: Utilizing Pedagogy, Technology, and Space requirements development sessions;
- Course enrollment capacity (the classroom can accommodate 30 students or less);
- Interest statement
- To prepare for your interest statement, please see the proposal questions here.
What does the classroom look like?
The LTC’s classroom has been designed to support interactive and technology-enhanced learning. To accomplish technology-enhanced learning, the classroom has a projector, an Interactive Whiteboard, four wall mounted displays, a Spark board, Crestron control system, and frosted windows that you can write on.
The classroom structure promotes active learning methods by having all mobile furniture; including two large circle tables that come apart to form smaller groups, five individual tables that can be pieced together to form a rectangle, and four pod chairs with a writing surface and basket under the chair for storage.
If you have any questions about the Active Learning Academy, please feel free to contact the UW-W Learning Technology Center.