Don’t reinvent the wheel — use the “D2L Starter Course (v.2)” developed to allow you to quickly leverage D2L in an online, hybrid, or face-to-face class format.
The recently updated D2L Starter Course (v.2) is a D2L course that includes a number of useful templates and other resources available for you to copy and modify for use in your D2L courses. The templates provided meet Quality Matters guidelines. Faculty and Staff who have used the D2L “Start Module” in the past will be interested in exploring the new resources available, including the following items:
- a D2L Rubric Tool for online discussions that can be linked to the gradebook or the dropbox
- an “Are You Ready for Online” quiz intended to help students build their confidence and encourage success when taking an online course
- a mid-course student evaluation survey to help you gauge that the course is meeting your (and your students’) expectations
- a Lockdown Browser quiz to ensure your students are prepared to take a D2L quiz that is set up to use Lockdown Brower
- suggested wording for News announcements to post in online, hybrid, and web-enhanced courses
- discussion starter ideas for online discussions administered in the D2L discussion forum
- activity templates for commentaries, assignments, and discussions
We welcome any suggestions or comments about the new starter course. Your feedback allows us to continuously improve the resources we provide to support faculty and staff. For questions of more information, please contact the Learning Technology Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 262-472-1004.
To register for this course, log into D2L, click on the “Self-Registration” link (located in the upper-right hand corner of the page near the “Logout” link), and then click on the title “D2L Starter Course (v.2).” Once the “Self Registering Course Offerings” screen opens, click on “D2L Starter Course (v.2)” then click on the “Register” button at the bottom right of the screen. After registering you will see “D2L Starter Course (v.2)” appear within your “Instructor tab” in the folder entitled “OTHER – Courses With No Semester.”
Once registered, you may review the various tools and resources available to copy into your course. Please do not edit the original “D2L Starter Course (v.2)”. This is used by faculty across campus.