Mental health is something that most people struggle with, lots of people are too afraid to admit it. It can be a scary thing not knowing how to cope or “fix” what’s going on. Lots of times people struggle when it comes to school, work, or personal-related things. It can be super stressful and I have a few things that I do to help with stress-related mental health. When I find myself being taken over by school I start to get very stressed out. A lot of times I like to step away and take a break, and then eventually make my way back to it. It can be helpful in some situations to step back and take a break and give yourself a different mindset. Being able to point out what specifically is stressing you out is always a good place to start. When I have some downtime and find myself stressed, I like to do a lot of self-care. Self-care can range from doing something simple like a face mask or reading a book, to meditating. Finding something like a hobby that interests you is a great thing to have in times of stress-related moments. If it’s a nice day outside, it would be great to go for a walk and space yourself from whatever is stressing you out. Depending on how you like to spend your free time – alone or with someone – is completely up to you. If you find yourself never wanting to be alone, it could be good to have someone you can be with to help get things off your mind. If you prefer being alone, that’s also a great way to destress. Making sure we all have an outlet for whenever things get tough is very important, and it’s never wrong to admit that you also are struggling. Find what makes you happy and apply that into your life when needed.

6 thoughts on “Coping with Stress”

1. I feel covid really spiked everyones stress up. any tips for people who cant go out and socialize to destress?

2. This was a nice reminder to make time for self-care and mental health breaks, especially in the spring semester when the homework and tests pile up, making it feel like summer is never coming. My favorite thing to do on a nice day is go for a walk like you mentioned; when the sun starts coming out and the temperatures get warmer, it’s a great way to destress and get excited for summertime.

3. I love this thought process! Mine is fairly similar when I need to find time to “unwind and step away”. In my case I find myself going to the gym and trying to think about what I need to get accomplished during my warm-up. Once I get to my actual lift I then allow my mind to wander off and think of anything else besides what stresses me giving me a sense of freedom from all the stressors that occurred in my day.

4. It is definitely the time of the school year where I get the most stressed. There are a lot of midterms and projects due around this time and this blog post was at a great timing for giving me a reminder to not stress too much. It reminds me that I should do a little self care and take some time for myself because that can go a long way.

5. This had some really good suggestions for mental health breaks. For me, I’ve found that being consistent and having a routine has been my form of self care, because that’s when things get done that help me both in the present and in the long run. That said, I love having nights in where I can do a face mask or catch up on a show I like. I’ve also found that it helps me to journal my feelings when I’m overwhelmed, because otherwise it can be over-bearing at times. Going along with that, I also like to make a list of things and prioritize, which helps me feel more equipped to handle things. Self care can mean anything you want it to, one just has to remember to make time to do it.

6. Hi there, this is an interesting blog post! For the most part, I agree with what you have to say regarding stress. I also have to cope with stress occasionally, when it comes to tests and homework, at least. I am curious though, you mentioned that both being with someone and being alone can help cope with stress. Would there be any exceptions to this statement? Like what would tips be if you’re having a panic attack? Looking forward to your next post.