The Xbox Game Pass: Games of Gold

November 20th, 2020 | Blog

Before you write this post off, and I’m talking to the PC and PS system gamers, remember that you guys have exclusive games that kind of make the Xbox Game Pass obsolete. That being said, for the low price of ten bucks a month, you will have access to hundreds of games available to play. This isn’t to say that all two hundred are good games, in fact, there are more bad games in this pass than there are good. But, that doesn’t mean there aren’t a few gems offered through this deal. While there are many more good games offered through the Game Pass than just the few I mention, here are my top five Xbox Game Pass titles!

5. The Walking Dead Telltale Series

If you have watched the Walking Dead, then you know just how good the story of the show is. Telltale, a game known for its comic-book-esque graphic style and storytelling abilities, are the developers of this game. They use ideas from the well-known and extremely popular show, and create an entirely new world in the universe that is the Walking Dead. I believe the entire series, excluding the most recent and supposed final installment of the franchise, can be downloaded and played with the Xbox Game Pass. If you’re looking for a game full of hard choices that effect how your story plays out, then look no further!

4. Grounded

This up and coming game still resides in the early Beta stages. At it’s current state, the game is unfinished and still possesses some issues. But, keeping in mind that the game is far from its final polished version, the developers of the game are taking direct advice and opinions from its fans. This means that most of the updates (which are released each month) contain some sort of fan inspired mechanic. For example, the most recent addition to the game was a giant pond with countless secrets to explore. But beware, because in this pond is an angry Koi Fish that wants nothing more than to make a snack of you. Oh, and did I mention you’re the same size as an ant, running around in someone’s back yard? Good luck fighting off the many bugs and spiders trying to make a meal out of you.

3. Alien: Isolation

This game seemingly came out of nowhere when it was first released, causing multiple popular YouTube streamers to record themselves playing the game upon its release. What I thought would be a rip off of the old Alien movies turned out to be one of the more terrifying games released in recent years. You’re a scientist sometime in the future and your ship has been boarded by an extraterrestrial life form that seemingly has one purpose: to kill. It is your job to rid the ship of this creature by any means possible, despite most of the game consisting of hiding from it rather than trying to tangle yourself in its claws. Not a game for those who don’t enjoy being freaked out, but ultimately an exhilarating title I recommend you try.

2. Fable Series

This series is a little older when compared to the other games on this list, but that doesn’t mean it can’t compete with the best and newest that the Xbox Game Pass has to offer. If you enjoy fairy tales but want to cut out the “yay, everyone lived happily ever after” ending, then this game may be up your alley. The Xbox Game Pass offers all of the essential titles to the game which allows you to play one and move right on to the next. Each game has its own play on fairy tales but the general gist of each story is entirely its own. In the first game, you’re a poor boy who loses his sister to an evil man that adopts the two of you. The player’s main quest is to find who is responsible for the death of your sister. In the second story, you are a prince who has his thrown stolen from him. Your main quest in this game is to retain the rights of the throne and choose how you will act as king of your people. The choice-based element of this game is done especially well.

1. State of Decay 2: Juggernaut Edition

If I had to tell you what my favorite game was on the history of the Xbox Game Pass, it would have to be this game right here. Also, if you couldn’t tell already, I’m a huge fan of the zombie genre. Maybe that’s a little basic of me, but my ideal world is that of a zombie apocalypse. Every plan I’ve made if the world decides to start eating itself is highlighted in this title and then some. From Feral zombies to Screamers to Bloaters and Juggernauts, this game truly encapsulates the idea of managing a community of survivors and emphasizing teamwork in the bleak world you find yourself in. The game also features perma-death, which basically means that if your character dies, they die forever. There’s no getting them back. If you kick up the difficulty, like I do, this makes every adventure outside of your home base, extremely nerve-wracking.

Are you a PS system player? Perhaps a PC player? If so, I know this post probably didn’t offer much to you. But, I feel that your input is still important. If you are a PS or PC player, what are some of the best exclusive games that you’ve played. Maybe there was a game that resides on the Xbox Game Pass that you would like me to try? If so, please recommend me some, I’m always looking for something new to play. I hope you enjoyed this post! I’ll see you guys next time!

***No references were used to create this post. GIF images were found via google search. Remaining content exists from pre-existing knowledge of the titles mentioned***

2 Responses to “The Xbox Game Pass: Games of Gold”

1. Samuel Adams

I am a PC gamer and I used to have the Xbox Game Pass on the Microsoft store for select titles. It is a very great service for a super cheap price.

2. Hunter Little

I love your blog posts! As a huge gamer myself, and an Xbox Gold Pass holder, this one was extremely interesting to me. Fable has been one of my favorite games series for about a decade. I can’t wait to return to Albion and fight Reavers! Thanks for your post!