College Tips,  COVID-19 in College,  Health & Wellness

“You” Time.

Exams and projects, well, I guess finals in general, are a formula for STRESS.

Even throughout the semester, I tend to forget to de-stress and designate time to relax.

When I say “You” time, I mean to designate a time you are doing things for YOU. Actually, research shows that self-care not only improves your overall sanity, but also improves your physical health!

What does this look like? It can be as simple as getting more sleep, setting aside time to watch a movie, and have a spa night a couple of times a month. Here are some top self-care activities you can do at home.

1. Exercise.

Throughout the week, or even during study breaks, I find that getting exercise is a great way to relieve stress. This could mean spending 30 minutes at the gym, or even going for a walk! Any time spent exercising reduces stress levels and improves your overall mood and physical health.

2. Do something you enjoy doing!

When I find myself overloaded by stress, I relax by spending time doing things I love. Even if it’s getting coffee with my roommates, the little things tend to bring out the most joy. It is essential to make time for your favorite activities! If you set aside time for your hobbies or passions, I guarantee your stress levels will decrease.

3. Spend time outdoors.

This can tie into exercise; however, spending time outdoors is GREAT for “You” Time. I love to hike and explore, so after a stressful week, I will find a hiking trail and spend time outside!

Personally, hiking in the fall is my favorite time of year to walk the trails. Something about the scenery, fresh air, and exercise that immediately diminishes any stress I have.

Click here to see some of my favorite places to hike around Wisconsin! From this article, I have only visited 5 out of the 10 trails but fully intent to explore them all!

4. This may be extreme, but have yourself a spa night!

You guys, I know it sounds extra, but spa nights are the best. To me, spa nights include any sort of relaxation activities. Typically, my roommates and I will put on a face mask, light candles, have a glass of wine, and watch a movie! It is enjoyable to look forward to this time. You can just relax with no background stressors.

5. It’s OK to nap!

Getting enough sleep is crucial in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. I categorize naps and sleep as “You” time because we essentially control how much sleep we get. This may just be me, but I rarely fall asleep before 1:00 AM. Meaning, I generally get 5-6 hours of sleep every night. With this, if I am sleep deprived, I do not perform at my best throughout the day. To conclude: don’t feel guilty about taking naps! If you need to sleep, let yourself. Rest is required for the well-being of your mind, body, and soul.

“You” Time is very critical, as a college student, but really at any stage of life. I recommend prioritizing your self-care. Remember that your health is just as important as your grades!

How do you spend “You” Time?

13 Comments

• Kim Reinders

There is so much going on in these last few weeks of the semester. Not only do we all have to deal with virtual classes but the added stress of final projects. This is great to stop and give youself some time to relax. I mean I was even getting relaxed reading this post! We are all going to need this at some point here in the home streatch of the semester

• Brianna Olstad

I’m glad this post was relaxing! Don’t forget to make time for yourself during these next few weeks before break. Thanks for your feedback!

• Samuel M Dvorak

This is very important. I have a rule where I set one day of the week where I do not do any school work or work at my job. It helps me relax and refreshes my mind. Usually I get a lot of work done the next day.

• Lindsey Buchanan

I absolutley loved this post! This is also what I try to make sure to do through out the week. If I don’t workout i feel like a bum, and I feel more productive when I workout even if I have low motivation. Spending time for YOU is also so important so I love this post.

• Britney

These are great suggestions to help manage stress in the next couple of weeks with finals coming up. One of my favorite activities to do is to go on a hike. I know it is starting to get colder now, but there are some days with weather nice enough to go for a hike. Thank you for the suggestions on places to go!

• Brianna Olstad

Hiking is one of my favorites too! Wisconsin has a lot of awesome trails, but sometimes I wish I lived in Colorado for their views! I hope these suggestions help. Thank you for your feedback!

• Lauren Foster

With these last few weeks of class, I definetly feel the stress when trying to finish projects as well as studying for finals. After reading this post, I realized just how little I’ve done to destress from everything. With the five suggestions listed, I have some options to making sure I give myself a nice break.

• Karissa Murphy

I loveeee this post! Since covid happened I have been doing a lot more self care and it feels great. I have been excersing more doing “spa nights”. It really helps me relax and feel good during the stresses of school and the pandemic!

• Holly Schoenherr

Love you website. Very neatly put together and refreshing to read. This post is a great reminder for college students during this stressful time and always good to have reminders about staying physically and mentally healthy because it will ultimately help yourself but your grades too.

• Julianne Gantar

Wow! Glad i stubbled across this post! First I agree it’s hard to make time for yourself but so worth it when you do! also your entire website is created so nicely, i love the way it looks and how easy it is to navigate !