College Tips

How To Organize Your Work Environment

My homework will not be completed if my workspace is messy. Honestly though! If my room or desk is unorganized, I might as well not even open my computer.

I know that might sound dramatic but let me tell you, I am much more efficient and successful when studying in a clean work environment.

Here are some tips that have helped me keep a clean and organized work space:

1. Find a solid workspace

With COVID making most classes online, it might be challenging to find a place to do homework at home. With this, avoid studying and doing homework from your bed at all costs. Yes, I know it is tempting to lay down and watch lectures, but don’t do it!

I am lucky enough to have a desk to work at, so it is where I spend most of my time during the week. However, if you do not have a desk at home, sit at a kitchen table or even on the couch with a coffee table (if you are careful not to fall asleep!) My desk is where I have gotten used to working at my full potential. Find the place you work best and get to it!

2. Clean, Clean, Clean!

This may be the most annoying part, but TRUST ME, it’s one of the most important. If my desk space isn’t organized and clean, I will not focus.

Typically, I will clear off my desk of any garbage, papers, and unnecessary items the night before so I don’t have to worry about it in the morning.

Click here to read a Pinterest article on more tips to keep your workspace clean!

3. Organize materials

As broad as it seems, I highly recommend creating a “home” for everything. For example, keep your writing utensils in a jar or your binders in a file holder to ensure your workspace is organized and clean.

It is essential to clear your desk of distractions as well. Social media is one of my biggest distractions, so I have to hold myself accountable to not go on my phone unless I am taking a study break.

To help me organize my desk materials, here are a few photos of products I recommend. (the best part is these are all from Amazon!)

Phone Stand from Amazon

Desk Stand from Amazon

Now its time to get to organizing! I hope these tips help!

2 Comments

• Lindsey Buchanan

Hi Brianna,
    These are amazing tips! I personally go crazy if my space isn’t cleaned before I do homework my mind will feel jumbled. So I agree! Always clean your space before studying! Also love the desk stand I want that.