Getting Comfortable With Being Uncomfortable During A Workout

Whether you are on your first day of starting your fitness journey or a seasoned gym rat, starting something new at the gym can be scary for anyone. So often we let our worries, doubts, and overthinking throw off our goals and bring us ultimately back to where we started. While conquering our fears can be uncomfortable the gym provides more than just physical benefits. Today we are going to look into the mental challenges one faces at the gym and how to become comfortable in uncomfortable situations.

New To Fitness

For those who are new to a fitness journey, this stage can bring some of the most daunting experiences since many lack confidence within the gym. Some common worries, doubts, and overthinking individuals new to their fitness journey are:

• Not knowing what to wear
  • How to use certain equipment
  • What workout they should be performing
  • What others will think of them

While these are all valid fears the reality is no one else cares. Given that may sound harsh it’s actually a comforting feeling, to anyone experiencing any of these worries, pay attention to those around you. Instead of normally blocking out the world and keeping to yourself, open your eyes and observe how others interact at the gym. You’d be surprised at the different comfort levels people carry themselves with and may even find someone in a similar mindset to you!

Regular Gym Attendees

Those who would classify themselves as “Gym Rats” are people who spend almost every day in the gym and feel extremely comfortable when lifting. There too can be occurrences in which you may feel uncomfortable during a workout. Some examples include:

• Starting a new gym
  • Changing to a different lifting style
  • Taking part in a lifting competition
  • Having to lift by yourself if normally accompanied by a gym partner

Even though as “Gym Rats” we are very accustomed to all aspects of the gym, we are also human. Just like anyone else, we too can feel nervous at times and may find ourselves in these situations. However, to combat this just like new fitness goers it all comes down to reminding ourselves that no one else in the gym matters. Once again sounding harsh, this is not to say people are beneath us but rather their opinions and thoughts of us are irrelevant and should not dictate how we view ourselves.

Other Ways To Get Comfortable

Look good, feel good! The power of an outfit can drastically change your confidence. If you’re ever unsure of what to wear see what others wear at the gym and base your outfit off of theirs. However, ultimately you should wear what makes you feel best!

Another great way to remain comfortable is to remind yourself of your why. Remember your reasoning for making it to the gym today and what it is that keeps you going. Just like everyone else in the gym you too have goals! The only way to stay true and disciplined to yourself is by putting in the work to get there.

The biggest takeaway from this is that you are taking your fitness seriously to better YOURSELF. You are the most important person in the gym and just like you are going to treat your body right, make sure to treat your mind right. A gym is a place to workout out the mind, body, and soul. Don’t sell yourself short by only contributing to one, you deserve to achieve your goals just as much as everyone else does!

5 Comments Add yours

1. Jessica Conway says:

I agree with you for the most part! Sometimes it truly is about putting mind over matter! However, for me, I still get nervous going to the gym. My plan whenever I workout is to just get in, do what I need to do, and get out. However, once in a while at the gym, I’ll have guys come up and try to strike up a conversation, or give me pointers. I have to focus on not making eye contact with anyone and looking serious and knowledgeable. That said, when it comes to your own individual mindset and your own individual actions, your advice is spot on!

2. Paige Manssen says:

Look good, feel good is a highly underlooked statement!! What you choose to wear to the gym can make all of the difference in how you feel about yourself and your potential workout. Sometimes when I am feeling lazy and just throw on whatever yo go to the gym, I notice the difference it makes in my workout. A very crazy thing, but can truly make a difference.

3. Samantha Kesich says:

I completely agree with your comment you made about how the way you look, one hundred percent can affect the way that you feel. I believe that if you feel good about yourself, that can help you perform better.

4. Tj Bauer says:

Look good, feel good, work out good, thats some great advise when going to the gym. Also great point on how remembering why your there can be a great motivator.

5. Lauren Strauss says:

man, this is the post i’ve been waiting for. for the most part I just do exercises in private so seeing this really makes me feel less alone in being uncomfy.