I think one of the best decisions I ever made in college was getting a part time job. For the past two years I have worked at UW-Whitewater Ticket Services, located in the Center of the Arts building. During these past two years, I have really come to appreciate my job and realize all of the benefits that come not only from having a job during college in the first place, but also having a job specifically on campus. If you are low on money and have some time to spare during the week and weekend, I highly suggest getting a job on campus. Here are the reasons why:

1. Coworkers

When having a job on campus you’ll be working with not only professional, full time staff but also with other part time college students. These students will be relatable, fun and a friendly face for when you come into work. Having a job on campus gives you an opportunity to meet new people and expand your social circle. I can honestly say that my coworkers, both the professional and college students, are some of the greatest people I’ve met in my years at college. It crazy to think that without my job, I would have never met them and that without my job they would not be a part of my life right now.

Side note, managers and supervisors alike can serve as awesome forms of guidance, be mentors and offer you great advice to help you throughout this crazy college experience and the transitions that come before and after. They also serve as great references when applying for scholarships, internships, jobs or grad school.

2. Close to “home”

No, not your home where you grew up and went to high school but the place you’re going to call home for the next four years. Having a job on campus means no car is needed and your job is in walking distance. This advantage is perfect for those days when you sleep through your alarm or lose track of time and need to get to work ASAP. Living on a smaller campus, for us Whitewater students work is more often than not just a short walk away and can be easily accessed. You don’t have to worry about an awful commute every day.

3. Academics remain a priority

Because you’re employed on campus, managers and supervisors understand that academics are your first priority and basically the reason you’re in college in the first place. This is why a majority of places you work at on campus will allow you to do homework while you are working. Homework is only done of course when all of your original job duties are completed and you are not busy or overwhelmed with customers or tasks to accomplish. Also, because academics are a priority, you won’t be scheduled a ridiculous amount of hours every week.

4. Learn time management

When adding a part time job to your already busy schedule, time management is a must. By having a job, you need to prioritize your time and be even more responsible to be sure that all homework and other responsibilities are taken care of. With classes, work hours and other scheduled activities, being able to make the most out of your time will be key. Having a job on campus can teach you just that.

5. MONEY

This reason basically speaks for itself. Who doesn’t want extra money deposited into their bank account at least twice a month?

6. Flexibility

Again, because employers understand that you are a college student, they do everything they can to work with you and accommodate your busy schedule. Your working hours at on campus jobs are built around your classes and other commitments such as club sports, professional organizations or different committees. When assigned hours, the schedule is flexible and easy to work with. You will never be scheduled to work during your class times, which is great and a privilege that not all working students get to enjoy. Also, if something were to come up, employers are understanding and more often than not able to accommodate.

7. Work experience

Having an on campus job gives you awesome work experience and skills that you can transfer with you into a career. No matter what you are doing for an on campus job, you will be gaining real life skills and experiences. You will have something to put on your resume and a topic of discussion for future employers. Being employed also shows that you are responsible,  hard working and self-sufficient.

So, all in all, I don’t think you can go wrong with having a job on campus. If you’re interested in one, get in touch with Career and Leadership Development or check openings that are posted on HawkJobs regularly! I promise you won’t regret it.