Trending

Why Are Weddings Such A Big Deal

Let’s get real about weddings these days…

I feel like this post will go against everything this blog is about, and I pray that my boss doesn’t read it. However, planning my own wedding has helped me see how ridiculous expensive and over the top everything has become.

First, lets talk about the cost. I remember sitting in on my first meeting for booking a venue, the cost stunned me. You could put a down payment on a house for almost the same price. For some reason, as soon as you say the word wedding everything becomes four times more expensive. Seriously, if you’re having a small wedding, tell your venue its a birthday party or some other event and I guarantee it will be cheaper.

Second, I’ve never understood the reasoning behind waiting so long to get married. Who decided that it made sense to wait two years to get married? I’ve had so many brides come in that say “We’d get married tomorrow if we could but everything is booked out so far!”. If you know that’s the person you wanna be with forever, what’s the point in waiting. The industry’s whole philosophy on needing years to plan a wedding is merely a tactic to stabilize there income.

Also, I feel like every wedding I planned was trying to out do the last one. Not fancy enough, lets have a mini ice sculpture for every guest. Wanna go out with a bang, fireworks. When my grandparents got married they had a church ceremony with cake and coffee for the reception. Honestly I wouldn’t mind going back to that simplicity.

Lastly, why so much stress? I get it, it’s so much to plan and coordinate. Most people dream their whole life for that one day, but it’s also just one day. I really feel like most people put more thought into the wedding day than their actual marriage. So as your planning just remember to enjoy it and not worry too much. It will all turn out and the best is yet to come. Also if this post was a downer for you, I hope this video will lighten the mood.

20 Comments