How to Use Less Garbage in Your Life

It is a well-known fact that the world is experiencing difficulties finding places and ways to dispose of the population’s garbage; we can view this dilemma as a way to better the world or better our way of life. This change is a way to engage our minds as well as challenge our day to day habitats. Let’s be honest, isn’t it exciting to push out of a comfort zone? This change can be a little or dramatic as you desire; follow these tips to create a more “natural” you. I have been participating in this challenge, I will star (*) the tips I have been using to give advice.

Look at the products you are buying

Portions:

Sometimes it may be easier to purchase a small portion of what you need, but ultimately, it is not as effective as buying in bulk. Products in larger portions use less packaging and provide more for the cost. You will be disposing less, less frequently.

*Be conscious of products that are individually wrapped within the bulk packaging.

Packaging:  

It seems all products have packaging now a day, but you can scout out products that are in less plastic or that have little to no packaging. Some products such as; water, grains, trailing mix, oats, nuts, fruits, or vegetables can be portioned into reusable containers for purchase.

Reuse

Reusable bags/containers:

The perks of reusable bags and containers are plentiful; they are durable, they store nicely, they are cost efficient, and they rarely need to be disposed of. Colin Beavan, a blogger, suggests using the containers outside of just left overs and grocery store runs, he suggests bringing your own container to take out restaurants to reduce disposal in your household.

**I use the containers and bags at grocery store (Game Changer), but I am eager to take a container to a takeout joint. A fillable water bottle is very easy to throw into your daily routine.

Purchase Used Products:  

When you buy a previously owned item you are directly recycling it. It is also a fraction of its original cost! Over time it might need repair, but usually repairs are cheaper, use less resources, and involve less waste than buying new.

**This is one of my favorite forms of recycling because it still involves shopping.  (: Remember refurbished items are a good option when searching for deals.

Use Less

Less Paper: 

In a world of technology this change may seem the easiest.  You can take notes on a computer, receive digital receipts, and read books on apps more so now than ever! This is a goal to work for; we can always improve this change.

Use what you have: 

This is where you can get creative; use up the tomatoes that will go bad soon or the box of noodles that have been in your cupboard for a long time. Over time you will throw out less and begin purchasing only what you need.

**This is a goal I have been working hard at. I always have to remind myself that cravings do not dictate my diet I do, and I have to eat my fruit before they go bad.

I hope you take up the challenge, if you need additional tasks or tips visit Yes Magazine’s blog, “42 Ways to Not Make Trash”.

Until Next Time….Reduce, Reuse,  Recycle… and Carry On,

Kari Rebman