Give a Little More This Holiday Season

5The Holidays are a wonderful time; some might describe it as “the most wonderful time of the year!” Aside from getting a month break off school, which I’m sure no one will deny makes the top of the list for the best part, there are many different aspects of the holidays that make this time of year one of my personal favorites.

I love spending time with family and old friends; it always brings me to reflect on what I’m thankful for. I especially loved the home cooked meals! Don’t get me wrong, I am very thankful for my weekly meals including microwaveable rice bowls, ramen noodles, and the free dinner and lunches every Monday night and Tuesday afternoon at the local churches, but nothing beats my mothers stuffing.

All of these aspects of the Holidays make it a special time of year for me, but I can’t help but think of those who are less fortunate than me during this time. A couple of years ago my family and I decided that something that would make the Holidays even more special, is to try and help it make it more special for those who didn’t have it as good as we did, if even just a little bit.

Here are some ways that you can help others less fortunate than yourself during this the season of giving:

• Donate your time
    • Volunteer at a homeless shelter, help wrap gifts, get involved in a holiday charity operation, etc.
  • Donate a meal or gifts
    • Adopt a family, give gifts to those less fortunate, buy new gifts or donate your old gifts or life essentials, bring your non perishables to the food pantry, etc.
  • Practice good deeds
    • Pay for the car in line behind yours meal in the drive way, give a bigger tip to your waitress, give an extra smile to someone, you never know it could make their day.

Sometimes a small act can go a long way. While reflecting on what you are thankful for during this time, add to your list by helping someone else have something more to be thankful for. Get in the Holiday spirit this season and lend a helping hand!

“Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right.”

-Christian Becker