ICIT welcomes new communications specialist

Ben Kroeplin joined the ICIT team on November 14th as the new senior communications specialist. Ben will work closely with all areas of ICIT to help craft announcements and public-facing communications. Ben will also play a critical role in organizing events, behind the scenes planning, and a wide variety of marketing/communications-related projects. Ben reports to Elena Pokot.

Previous to joining ICIT, Ben worked in a similar role as marketing specialist for Dean Foundation, the research-oriented non-profit affiliate of Dean Health System. Ben has an extensive communications background having also worked as an on-air radio personality and as a journalist before moving to a less public career path.

Need to get the word out about something? Need some help promoting or communicating a department-wide or campus-wide project? Talk to Ben.

Spotlight                                                                                                                                

ben lo-res2-cropoffice: 2008B | email: kroeplib@uww.edu | phone: 262-472-5661

What do you do? – explain how you fit into ICIT

• I basically administer day-to-day communications for the department to help ensure that the information we are sending out to students and staff is timely and accurate. I’ll also plan department events and work on a pretty wide variety of projects within all areas of ICIT.  So, odds are you’ll see me pop in to your department from time to time.

Something people don’t know about you?

• I used to be on the news. I have worked at a couple of TV stations as an on-air news reporter and anchor. So if you ever see me wearing a shirt with a makeup stain on the collar, you know why.

Favorite hobby?

• I used to be a in a band. But, I just got married and plan to go to graduate school next year, so I no longer have time for fun things.

What was your first job?

• When I was about 14, I spent the summer hauling manure for farmers. While I couldn’t legally drive a car, apparently it is perfectly legal for a 14-year-old to get behind the wheel of a gigantic tractor hauling 3,000 gallons of liquid manure and then operate that gigantic manure-laden tractor on the public’s roadways.

What’s your favorite piece of technology?

• My iPhone. I’d like it even more if the new iPhone 6 wasn’t on back order.

Music genre?

• I have a pretty diverse taste in music. If I had to pick a favorite (or two) I’d go with old-school punk and progressive metal.

Favorite vacation?

• I like camping. So I try to get away and camp someplace exotic when I can (I prefer the coasts somewhere). Otherwise, San Francisco is my favorite place on earth besides Wisconsin.

Favorite food?

• Cheesecurds. I’m a cheesecurd snob connoisseur.

Least favorite food?

• Beets. Beets are gross.

Biggest fear?

• Heights… and the Minnesota Vikings winning Super Bowl which would render my repertoire of Vikings jokes useless.