Pro Tip Tuesdays

The Earth’s Got Beef With Us

For my first post, I am going to share one of the most important things you can do to help in the battle against climate change: eat less meat. Specifically, eat less beef. I know, that’s probably not what you want to hear, because cheeseburgers just really hit the spot, but did you know that livestock operations account for roughly 50% of methane emissions into the atmosphere? Of domestic livestock, the beef cow/calf sector is the largest contributor of methane emissions (source). Not only this, but meat production requires massive amounts of Earth’s resources. For more information, check out this video.  

Look, I understand that cutting back on meat is not easy for a lot of people. I still eat meat, mostly chicken and turkey, but I try to limit my consumption as much as possible. I never eat beef anymore, but it was a little easier to give up because I love cows. Just check out some videos of them. They are so playful and loving and honestly, have personalities comparable to dogs.

I would like to become a full vegan someday because every animal’s life is valuable, but as a meat lover, I have quickly learned that it is not easy. So, I started with giving up beef. I think it is SO important to emphasize that this doesn’t have to be an all or nothing thing. If you want to become a full vegetarian/vegan, that’s great! But a lot of people think that they have to either completely cut out meat/dairy or just go back to their old ways of not caring. This is just not the case. Even if you could devote one day a week to not eating meat (ex: Meatless Mondays) you are still making a bigger difference than you might think.

If you haven’t yet, check out Morning Star products. My absolute favorite is their veggie burgers. The “Meat Lovers” 1/4 pound burger is delicious and has 27 grams of protein in one patty! I encourage you to try one, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Grill it, microwave it, etc., throw it on a bun with some lettuce and ketchup, mustard, whatever else you like, and voila! You have yourself a cruelty-free and environmentally-friendly burger (except if you add cheese, then it’s a little less friendly. But I’m still proud of you for trying new alternatives! ;))

That’s all I have for you today! Stay tuned for more posts like this one!

One Comment