Blog

Nutritious Snacks

For this week’s SCR Fitness post, I will be talking about nutritious snacks that are quick and easy for on-the-go snacks, or for a pre or post workout snack. I mentioned in my Balanced Diet post that the body requires vitamins, minerals and nutrients to supply energy, but that doesn’t just refer to having 3 balanced meals a day. It also means having snacks in between meals to maintain energy throughout the day, especially when working out on a regular basis because it’s important to replace the calories that you burn during physical activity.

Snacks that are both healthy and quick include:
– Mixed nuts (contains fiber, protein and healthy fats – also very filling)
– Sliced red bell peppers with guacamole (red bell peppers are particularly higher in antioxidants than green/yellow/orange bell peppers and guacamole is high in healthy fats, vitamins, phosphorus and potassium)
– Mixed berries & Greek yogurt (Greek yogurt is high in protein and berries provide antioxidants)
– Apple slices & peanut butter (Apples are high in fiber, peanut butter provides healthy fats and protein)
– Cottage cheese & fruit (Cottage cheese is rich in protein and very filling, which pairs well with the fiber contained in fruit)
– Cucumber slices & hummus (provides a mix of plant protein, fiber and healthy fats)
– Dark chocolate & almonds (dark chocolate is packed with antioxidants, almonds provide healthy fats)

I try to snack as much as possible throughout the day to maximize my calorie intake because I have a very fast metabolism. If you are concerned about the calorie count of the snacks listed above, they are all healthy, low calorie snacks that can aid in your body’s overall health and wellness.

Source:https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/29-healthy-snacks-for-weight-loss#TOC_TITLE_HDR_9

4 Comments