Blog

Cardio

Welcome back to SCR Fitness! This week I am going to be talking about the important of cardiovascular activity. Cardiovascular activity is often used interchangeably with the term aerobic exercise, both of these consist of any type of physical activity that works large muscle groups and gets your blood pumping.

Cardio (aerobic) exercise consists of a variety of activities that you can do to get your blood pumping and muscles working:
– Running
– Riding a bike
– Brisk walking
– Swimming
– Heavy cleaning
– Rigorous gardening
– Playing sports such as soccer, basketball, etc.

As a former track and field athlete, cardio has been the most frequent fitness activity that I do. I love running because it provides me with an escape of sorts. When I’m running my mind goes blank. I’m not thinking about the stressful day I had, or approaching deadlines, I just focus on the ground in front me and the air around me. Ironically enough, running brings me peace, even though I’m usually exhausted by the end of it.

It is recommended that individuals get a weekly minimum of 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity, or 75 minutes of rigorous activity.

There are also many benefits to cardiovascular/aerobic exercise.
– Improves cardiovascular health and helps blood pump through the body more efficiently
– Lowers blood pressure
– Regulates weight
– Regulates blood sugar
– Can lessen the frequency and severity of asthma attacks
– Helps people get better sleep
– Strengthens the immune system
– Improves brain power by making brain tissue stronger and healthier
– Improves mood through stimulation and release of hormones such as dopamine,
norepinephrine and serotonin, which all aid in mood regulation.

Cardiovascular activity is also one of the most practical and affordable exercises you can do because it doesn’t require special equipment or even a gym membership.

Source: https://www.healthline.com/health/fitness-exercise/benefits-of-aerobic-exercise#takeaway

One Comment