If you want to access the secure network while off campus, you can use Cisco AnyConnect. AnyConnect is a Virtual Private Network or VPN that allows you to remotely access the campus’s network. Since the campus’ network infrastructure is protected from internet viruses and worm attacks by a firewall, VPN solution is necessary to gain access to specific campus resources, such as network storage, while maintaining the security of the system for both users and the network. UW-Whitewater enables VPN access using the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Software. VPN securely encrypts data transmissions from your computer to the campus network. A valid campus net-id and password are required to gain access.
If you use a University owned laptop, AnyConnect should already be installed.
If you do not have AnyConnect installed follow the steps below:
- Go to vpn.uww.edu
- Login with your UW-Whitewater Net-ID and password.
- Select the ‘AnyConnect’ item from the menu on the left.
- Click the link to ‘Start AnyConnect’.
- If you have not been through this process, or you do not have the correct version of the Java Runtime Environment installed, a pop-up window will appear and direct you to download Java Runtime Environment.
- When prompted, install the AnyConnect software.
- When the install is complete, the webpage will refresh to show that you are successfully connected.
Accessing most campus enterprise technology services, such as Email, calendar, the UW-Whitewater web site, WINS, and other web-based services does not require the use of the VPN.
If you have questions or issues setting up the VPN, please contact the UW-W Helpdesk.